• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GFT14ESSM0WW Ventless Dryer Has no heat.

dhurzan

Premium Member
Model Number
GFT14ESSM0WW
Brand
GE
I have a GE GFT14ESSM0WW ventless dryer, and recently it stopped heating. The owner's manual recommends checking the fuse/breaker because it still turns on and tumbles. I checked the breakers and they are operating properly.

Searching online I've found mention of thermal fuses being the problem but I can't find any information online about this dryer or ventless dryers, in general, having such fuses because they are normally located near the air vent which being a ventless model I'm not sure where it might be to check its continuity if it even has one at all. Could it be some other electrical item inside the dryer?

I'm not sure what else to look for before I have to spend a lot of money on a GE tech to come out and look at it.
Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

This is a newer GE Dryer I haven't worked on as of yet, and I can't locate the service manual either.

First turn the breaker off to your dryer, OR unplug it from the wall, then open the little access cover where the power cord connects to your dryer's terminal block, and see if any of the screws are loose or burnt on the terminal block.

I see that happen a lot, look here:
(click to enlarge)
FriedWires.jpg

If the wires are just loose, just tighten them down.

If the terminal block wires are fine, then plug the dryer back in, OR turn the breaker ON, Then you would need to check for 240 volts at the terminal block with a multimeter.

Many times I've seen just 120 volts coming in, not 240 volts, thus your dryer motor will run, but not heat.

Put your multimeter leads on both ends of the terminal block, it should read 240 volts.

Remember Black & Red on the ends are HOT, White in the middle is NEUTRAL

Then put one of your meter leads in the middle of your terminal block and one on the end you should read 120 volts, then on the other end you should read 120 volts as well.

Let us know what you find.

If you have 240 volts to the dryer and it does not heat then either the thermal fuse or thermostat or heating element is usually the cause, but since I have no service manual to show you how to access those parts, you will need to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out on yours.

Jake

dhurzan

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for your fast and detailed reply.

I took the cover off to inspect the wires, they all seem to be in good condition and all screws were still tight, then I tested both ends of the terminal block and got 240v and each individually with the neutral and got 120v on both.

Is there anything else I can look at before calling out for a technician?

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I took the cover off to inspect the wires, they all seem to be in good condition and all screws were still tight, then I tested both ends of the terminal block and got 240v and each individually with the neutral and got 120v on both.
Ok, good!

Is there anything else I can look at before calling out for a technician?
Nothing else that I'm aware of, and without the service manual we are dead in the water.

Contact GE to come out, let us know what they find if you could please.

Jake

dhurzan

Premium Member
Semi-update. A technician will be out this Friday and we have also discovered that after doing a "reset" by unplugging it for a few minutes, we have heat but only on a high setting with e-dry enabled. This high with e-dry cycle only runs for about 20-25 minutes stops heating "Cool" flashes on the screen it tumbles slower for a couple minutes then turns off completely leaving the clothes semi-damp. Low and medium with e-dry do not heat and high without e-dry does not heat. I have been told by a GE employee on the GE website that the fuses in the dryer are near the bottom rear near the blower housing but did not give me any information as to what panel I should be removing in the rear or how to get to them at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update!

I wish I could help you but without the service manual I can't, sorry.

Jake

dhurzan

Premium Member
Well, the tech was just out and it was a firmware update that ended up costing about 90 bucks because technology

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You've got to be kidding me???

Firmware updates should be free wouldn't you think so?

So if your dryer needs a firmware every year, that's $90 a year for Lord knows how many years???

No other appliance company does that to the customer!

NO MORE GE FOR YOU. LOL

Thanks for the update.(y)

Jake

Last edited: