GE GFWR4805F0MC Front loader washer fills/drains but not spin or agitate

Oakley19

Premium Member
Model Number
GFWR4805F0MC
Brand
GE
GE GFWR4805F0MC Front loader washer fills/drains but not spin or agitate.
I entered the test mode and tested the water fill on hot and cold and both worked as they should. I tested the door lock and it worked as it should (also, the door physically locks as well) When I try to test the spin or the agitate t10/t11 the test starts and the door unlocks and locks, then nothing. I don't see an error thrown up (should I?) it just sits there.
The drum spins freely by hand with no weird noises or vibrations. It worth noting that my wife says this happened over a period of time on the normal wash settings but that she just selected different wash settings until one worked.....
any Ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

I haven't worked on this model as of yet, but I did locate the service manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lQIIxQEEobPV2TlS83MhRbmKIKzXomnQ

The stator is your drive motor that turns the tub, so you will want to test these parts below:
--->Stator Page 56 and Page 57
--->Hall Sensor Page 58

Also on Page 25 is you Consumer Mode where you can check for error codes. Then the fault codes are list on Pages 26-30.

Fault codes can be viewed in service mode T21.
Fault codes can be cleared in service mode T22.

Jake

Oakley19

Premium Member
When I run the test Diagnostic for t10 t11 do I just wait until an error shows up?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, I didn't read that would be the case in the service manual.

It would likely show up on Page 25 when you enter Consumer Mode where you check for error codes.

Jake

Oakley19

Premium Member
Ok, so I took the stator out and tested it. There are 3 tabs that the wire harness connector connects to on the stator. According to the service manual they represent three phases. If I understand the manual correctly on page 57, it shows that by using an ohm meter across any of the three phases, it should read 16.6 ohms of resistance.
This is what I find:
Tab 1 to 2 - OL
Tab 1 to 3 - 16.6
Tab 2 to 3 - OL
I am no electrician but I think (if I understand the test correctly) this is a bad stator. I also noticed a broken ground wire on the harness between the ICM and the stator.
I think I should replace the stator. Do you agree Jake?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also noticed a broken ground wire on the harness between the ICM and the stator.
Fix that ground wire first.

Stator Diagnostics
Stator voltage cannot be tested. If there are any problems detected with the stator, the inverter will stop supplying voltage to it. Do the following to test the stator.
1. Verify the phase wires are properly connected to the stator.
2. Check stator resistance by disconnecting IMC J1203A and connect the meter lead between each phase wire. Resistance should be ~ 16.6 Ω.

Yes replace the stator, because all should be 16.6 ohms.

Jake