• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GLDT696T00SS dishwasher shows "--" and is unresponsive after control board replacement

JAK2625

Premium Member
Model Number
GLDT696T00SS
Brand
GE
Woke up last week to an unresponsive touchpad on my GLDT696T00SS which could not be resolved by power cycling. Was advised to replace main control board. Installation of the new board seemed pretty straightforward, with no issues. Upon re-establishing power via the breaker (my dishwasher is hard-wired), there is a short beep, all the lights in the display blink, then turn off. After that, upon touching any of the three buttons (On/Off, Delay, or Select), there's a 1 second beep, and "--" shows up in the display. No other lights are illuminated. At this point, all buttons become unresponsive., and the "--" shuts off after 30 seconds to a minute. Any button press after that brings back the "--" and unresponsive buttons until the display shuts off again.

Did I do something wrong? Did I get a bad replacement board? Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Attachments

• 31-9217 GE GLDT690T GLDT696T Dishwasher Service Manual.pdf
    906.5 KB · Views: 96

JAK2625

Premium Member
So... I tried it several times, and I can't even get to the service test mode. All I get when I push On/Off + Delay after turning on the breaker is "--" in the display and a beep, accompanied by an unresponsive keypad. Latch and microswitch look ok, though I haven't hit the switch with the multimeter yet.

The WD21X10389 Control ASM is the part I just replaced as the old keypad was also unresponsive ("Sanitized" button lit, and nothing else; no key function even after resetting breaker) after a late-night power bump. Worried that the replacement part I received is also defective.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then it has to be a defective Control Assembly. Contact the place where you got it from and tell them its defective.

Here's the control assembly for your model:
WD21X10389 Control Asm (pcb)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

JAK2625

Premium Member
UPDATE: OK, I returned the board for a new one and installed it. SAME PROBLEM. "--" in display when On/Off switch activated, all keys unresponsive, and display shuts off after a minute or so. Hitting On/Off again results in the same thing. I'm completely flummoxed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, I don't know what else it could be.

Its best to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to get a tech to come out at this point to see what's going on.

Jake

JAK2625

Premium Member
UPDATE 2: Well... I disconnected the door latch switch, and the keypad now seems to be responsive again. Taking a multimeter to the latch switch assembly, it reads closed 100% of the time regardless of whether or not the individual microswitches switches are depressed. It looks like the plastic piece that rotates and actuates the microswitches is bent, and mashing the switches closed regardless of position. I am ordering a new latch assembly, and will see if that takes care of the problem.

JAK2625

Premium Member
So I removed the microswitches from the latch assembly (they both tested good), bent the plastic actuator piece back to more or less straight, put it all back together, and the machine works! I'm still ordering a new latch assembly, since the current one is in pretty rough shape. I'd classify my issue as resolved at this point. Thanks for the guidance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you found the problem with the door latch.(y)

Yes, order the new door latch and that should fix it permanently.:)

Let us know how it goes after you replace the door latch.

Jake