• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GNE29GSHDSS 6-7 year old bottom freezer/fridge/fans not working

Bd1212

Premium Member
Model Number
GNE29GSHDSS
Brand
GE
My 6-7 year old double fridge door/bottom freezer refrigerator was very warm and the freezer was very cold. The freezer fan appeared to not be working so i replaced it. With doors closed or open the fan still does not work after replacing it. The coils get cold and everything seems to work fine.

I have replaced the switchboard as i was told although rare an isolated issue on the board can stop power to the fan motors inside. Unfortunately even with new board the fan still does not work. I have just taken out and will be replacing the evap fan as the fan blades did not spin easily (located inside the fridge compartment. i did not realize there was another fan inside) .

Do both fans need to be plugged in and in working order in order for either to work? Although I will now be replacing the evap fan, I am looking to see if the newly installed freezer fan actually works or has power. Please send along any advice. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the freezer was working great then its most likely the Fresh Food fan motor. There has been many members saying that fan motor NOT RUNNING is the cause for the warm temps in the refrig. section.

What is the serial number of your refrigerator?

If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factory service or a Software Update Module WR98R882802 for proper performance.

Here's the Fresh Food evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X26866

Jake

Bd1212

Premium Member
Thank you very much for your reply. I have ordered a new fan and software module as it was needed for my serial number. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the serial number of your refrigerator?

Your not suppose to order both, just one or the other per your serial number.:)

Jake

Bd1212

Premium Member
serial #

Attachments

• F076BF0E-0478-4E74-971D-1414F407D038.jpeg
    F076BF0E-0478-4E74-971D-1414F407D038.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Your refrigerator was made in May of 2015, you just need to order the Evaporator Fan Motor.:)

Jake

Bd1212

Premium Member
Evaporator Fan Motor for GE GNE29GSHDSS Refrigerator. Genuine product manufactured by GE. You will also need to order the software update module part number WR98R882802 to update the software on the refrigerator when installing the new fan motor.

Thanks again for your response. I'm confused as I just copied this from my part order description from the website.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where do you see that?

At RepairClinic it says this--->*If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range FF - HD see required item, WHICH is the software module.

Since yours was made in May 2015 you just need the fan motor.

Jake

Bd1212

Premium Member
I have replaced the freezer fan and evaporator fan inside the refrigerator and only the evap fan will work (both did not work prior to changing them both) . Any ideas? Freezer thermostat was changed and circuit board has been changed also.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the evaporator fan motor in the refrigerator section is running good? But the evaporator fan motor in the freezer is not working?

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor for your model:
Fz Fan & Felt Asm

Here's the main control board for your model:
Control Board WR55X30806

Use your multimeter to check the evaporator fan motor in the freezer voltages at the connector that plugs into that motor.

When the freezer fan is NOT running:
Test voltage at--->RED to BLACK --->You should have 12 Volts DC CONSTANTLY

IF the freezer fan is running check these voltages too:
YELLOW to BLACK - 2 to 3 VDC / FAN ON
BLUE to BLACK - 2 to 4 VDC / FAN ON

Jake

Bd1212

Premium Member
Thank you once again for your feedback. After installing all items I let the refrigerator run after putting it completely back together. All fans are now working and after 24 hours the fridge and freezer have adjusted to the proper temperatures. Everything seems to be working correctly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake