• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GSE25HMHBHES reading -9 on freezer + frosted coils

rakjr2875

Premium Member
Did you check the communication voltage on both boards? Post #10
I have not yet. When I am able to do that, what exactly is that going to tell me depending on what reading I get? I’m just trying to understand what that voltage controls.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rakjr2875

Premium Member
Really at a loss now. Tech was out today. Claims communication between boards is fine, especially since the fridge side temp display is working fine. They changed out all the thermistors and it’s still showing the -9. All they can think now is possibly the board that they replaced came to them faulty. Other wise they said they don’t know what else it could be.

rickgburton

Staff member
The part you need is in my last post. The main board is communicating with the display board but the display board is not listening

rakjr2875

Premium Member
The other issue, it’s still not defrosting, and the freezer is not getting cold enough to constantly make ice so it’s not just a display issue. This is one week after they replaced the board initially and I had to defrost it manually.

In regards to the display board though, can it go bad like that where just that one part of the board is bad? Like all the buttons work fine and the fridge side of display is showing correctly.

Attachments

• 355D7812-2398-4CEB-9573-7B54CBB071B2.jpeg
    355D7812-2398-4CEB-9573-7B54CBB071B2.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
it’s still not defrosting,
I thought you diagnosed it as the board?? So new board and new thermistors leaves the defrost heater and defrost thermostat you need to check.
just that one part of the board is bad?
Something like that. The buttons and the display are all part of the display assembly/board/module. The -9 in the display can't be changed either by the main board or user input. If there's communication voltage between the boards, something on the display board is is keeping the -9 from being changed.

rakjr2875

Premium Member
The tech that came out diagnosed it as the board almost 2 weeks ago, and they put a new one in, but it’s still doing all the exact same thing.

They changed all the thermistors on the freezer side including the defrost one, as well as something else to do with the defrost that I can’t remember the exact name of today.

The defrost heater it self was tested and came back fine.

rakjr2875

Premium Member
I agree, and at this point I don’t know what else it could even be.

Board has been replaced once, with a new one on the way to try again if by some chance the board they got was faulty.

Both thermistors on freezer side have been changed as well as the bi metal thermostat for the defrost heater.

Defrost heater was tested and is fine.

In its current state the freezer gets cold enough to freeze water, but not cold enough to properly store food in it. The fridge side is staying cool just fine.

rakjr2875

Premium Member
Yes, has been this whole time. And actually, since they replaced those thermistors and bi metal thermostat today, the freezer now seems to be keeping much colder and in the last few hours it’s made quite a bit of ice.

Still says -9 on the front screen, but we will see if it keeps this up, and if it actually defrosts on its own.

rakjr2875

Premium Member
Update: tomorrow the tech is returning to replace the board, again. All they seem to think is the board they got the first time was faulty. Still reading -9 on the freezer display and still not defrosting.

The picture below are the coils are as of today, about a week since they were manually defrosted last time.

Just to recap:

Freezer displaying -9 for temp, never changes & Is not defrosting at all.

Have had 1 new board installed as well as both freezer thermistors and the Bimetal thermostat, nothing has changed at all.

Fridge side is keeping cool just fine, freezer is cold
Enough to freeze water and Works fine for a few days until it needs to be defrosted again.

Just completely at a loss at this point, as is the company trying to repair it.

Attachments

• F5EFE046-8934-4E69-833B-90530C42E852.jpeg
    F5EFE046-8934-4E69-833B-90530C42E852.jpeg
    665.8 KB · Views: 31

rakjr2875

Premium Member
I think you better get a new company.
Maybe I worded that wrong, I don’t know if they are “at a loss” just obviously frustrated as well lol. After this board is replaced, if it still has issues, the supervisor has another tech from another area that he’s going to bring over to service it and see what he comes up with.

Just very frustrating

rakjr2875

Premium Member
You should tell them to bring a dispenser board also
It’s been mentioned. Not sure if they are bringing it tomorrow or waiting to see what happens after the replace the main board again.

Would the dispenser board have anything to do with why it’s not defrosting as well?