• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GSH22JFXMWW extended thaw when turning on ice maker

mr00us

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH22JFXMWW
Brand
GE
I have a GE GSH22JFXMWW side by side refrigerator. So, a few weeks back we saw puddle of water under in the freezer section, the ice melted and the freezer fan was blowing warm air. I changed the top temperature sensor and results were still the same. After a few trial and error, I notice that when ever I turn the ice maker on, everything stays thawed for a long time, like 10-15 hours and then it gets frozen for some time and stays thawed again. When on, it does not make much ice either, just a few turds and then everything thaws.

Turning off the ice maker seems to work and the freezer stays cool and things stay frozen. So we have left the ice maker off. I am willing to DIY till it screams before throwing in the towel. Any input is apreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

mr00us

Premium Member
Update on my GE GSH22JFXMWW side by side refrigerator. I replaced both thermistors (coil and the bottom one) and the thermostat. Before replacing them, I tested them for resistance to the best of my abilities and readings looked ok. Read some more on workings too. The heater kicks in fine, stays hot for about 10 minutes and melts the ice. After that for about 30 minutes, freezer remains silent. The fan close to compressor stays on. Then after 30 minutes of silence, the freezer fan kicks in and the air feels cold, but not cold enough to freeze things. All this time, there is a big puddle of water by the refrigerator from the melted ice so I have to place a towel for water from spreading. All this while, I am being yelled at for not buying a new refrigerator and I turned off the ice maker eventually because icemaker seems to be working fine and making ice nicely. I leave it alone and in a few hours, I see ice on the evaporator coil and freezer works fine for another cycle till thaw cycle kicks in.

An interesting observation though. after replacing 2 thermistors and thermostat, I observed that the top 2 coils do not have any ice over them. Rest all have ice on them. Like the gas is not turning into liquid till it reaches third or fourth coil from top.

Appreciate any insight from any experts here.

Last edited:

mr00us

Premium Member
Another Update: As you can see, weekends are best time to troubleshoot :).
The defrost cycle started some 2 hours ago, the ice melted fine, heater stopped on time. The fans came on fine but the compressor did not (yet) get the signal to start so the fan is simply blowing air in the freezer. I know it will start sometime but it takes too long to kick in.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put your hand on the top of your compressor and see if its super hot, that you can't keep your hand on it.

Sounds like your compressor might be the problem.

Also, unplug the refrigerator and ohm test the compressor pins, with your meter set on the lowest (200) ohms scale you should have between 6-10 ohms between any two pins.

Jake

mr00us

Premium Member
Put your hand on the top of your compressor and see if its super hot, that you can't keep your hand on it.

Sounds like your compressor might be the problem.

Also, unplug the refrigerator and ohm test the compressor pins, with your meter set on the lowest (200) ohms scale you should have between 6-10 ohms between any two pins.
Jake, many thanks for the response. I now can say I have seen the end of the google researching this issue.

The compressor (when it runs) is warm but I can keep my hand on it. Per your advice, I tested the Ohms between pins and that looked ok (8 ohms or so). While I had it open, I tested DC coming in the Invertor board- the thingy that plugs in to the compressor and it showed 8.5(ish). Nutshell situation is, after defrost cycle or after powering up, the compressor somehow starts at its own sweet time. The fans are all turning on fine but since compressor wont turn on, blows room temperature air.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then check for 120 Volts AC between the orange wire and the black wire on the inverter. If the voltage is correct, use your meter and check for 3-6 Volts DC between the two smaller wires in the inverter. If you do then the inverter is bad.
(click to enlarge)
GE Inverter Voltage.jpg

Here's the inverter board for your model:
ge-inverter-w-jumpers-wr49x10283-ap5669522_02_m.jpg

Jake

mr00us

Premium Member
Photos

Attachments

• IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 6

mr00us

Premium Member
So, I did everything. Even scratched the floor :) so now I have to suffer the consequences :)

1.ohm test the compressor pins = 8.1ohms between all 3 pins
2. AC between the orange wire and the black wire on the inverter= 122.9 Volts
3. between the two smaller wires in the inverter=
-1 (open circuit) while on 200m DCV. This plays between 8.5 and -1 (open circuit) depending on its mood.​
- 15.2 DCA (images attached)​

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your meter should not be on 200m. It should be on 20 Volts DC.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so between the two smaller wires in the inverter you are getting 8.41-8.45 Volts DC?

Then it sounds like you will need a new inverter.

Jake

mr00us

Premium Member
I checked the J15 on the main board and I see 5.4 DCV there. Then when I checked the lead right before where it plugs in to the invertor, it is 8.5 DVC. This lead is one of the 2 that goes in to the invertor. Shouldn't these both be same (= 5.4 as on board)?

Board (J15 = 5.4 DVC) --------> Before plugging into Invertor (= 8.5 DVC) ---------> Invertor ----> Compressor.
-------------------------------> 122 Volts AC----------------------------------------->Invertor

Jake, once again, many thanks for your time and help. I have taken all these machines for granted all this time. There is so much that goes on there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You need to leave the inverter connector connected while taking that DC Volt test, then it should read 3-6 Volts DC.

Jake

mr00us

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. It is 7.5-7.8 DCA with invertor connected to compressor. I left it on overnight and there is frost around coils.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A thin layer of Frost on ALL the evaporator coils from TOP to BOTTOM?

Jake

mr00us

Premium Member
Top 3 of the coils are not frozen but rest all the way to bottom are. Has not thawed today as well (yet).