GE GSHS6HGDBCSS Ice Selector Malfunction

raave05

Premium Member
Model
GSHS6HGDBC
Brand
GE
Hello -

I have a progressive problem with my side by side GE refrigerator. Whenever i try to get 'cubed' or 'crushed' ice the dispenser board looks like it is shorting. Kind of hard to explain, but when i depress the dispenser arm, the light in the dispenser housing comes on for a split second then turns off, there is a 'pop' sound like the ice is about to release but stops, and the dispenser controls themselves reset (i.e. panel goes dark, then flashes the actual temp like with a system reset).

Any ideas what might be causing this? The ice maker itself works fine and the water selection works fine. This only happens with the ice selections. It is progressively getting worse to the point that the ice selections are essentially useless.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly the motherboard that's bad.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order(Video Included):
WR55X10942P Main Control Board

Jake

raave05

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I ordered the part and I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

raave05

Premium Member
New motherboard installed in 10 minutes and we are back to working normally. Thanks Jake for the advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent raave05, glad to hear the new motherboard fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

raave05

Premium Member
Unfortunately I spoke too soon. Everything worked fine after installing and testing, however now a couple of hours later and the problem is back. For what it's worth, the old board didn't have any burn marks or anything that would be an obvious failure, and all of the wiring looked solid.

Could the issue be in the selector panel instead? I can take a video and post that here later if that would help with diagnosis.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd,

Check for frayed or broken wires in the wire harness coming into the freezer door. The wire harness usually comes into the door from the lower bottom door hinge or upper door hinge.

Could the issue be in the selector panel instead?
Possibly, but that's very low voltage DC (about 13 volts DC) coming to that board, so unless you have a direct short there, that would be very rare to ever see happen.

Here's the dispenser board for your model:
WR55X11041 Interface Disp Asm

I can take a video and post that here later if that would help with diagnosis.
Yes, you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Remove the little light bulb from your dispenser and see if it still acts up.

Jake

raave05

Premium Member
Thanks for the continued help Jake. Visually inspected wires coming into the freezer door and nothing looking frayed from the harness. Took the selector panel off and again visually inspected. No obvious issues. I took the wires off of the light but problem still persisted so i plugged them back in. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTMM32D_y3I&feature=youtu.be

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok I saw the video, that's very weird, I've never seen that happen before.

I will need to ask Rick.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's the dispenser board. I've run into that before. Check for a constant 12V on the main board J4-3 to J4-2.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

raave05: If you get a constant 12V on the main board J4-3 to J4-2 then order the dispenser board.

Here's the dispenser board for your model you can order:
WR55X11041 Interface Disp Asm

After you replace the dispenser and it fixes it, reinstall your old motherboard and see if it stays fixed, if so you can return the new motherboard you ordered for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake