• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GSS25GGHKCBB not controlling to temperature well and evap fan does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charger68

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25GGHKCBB
Brand
GE
This refrigerator is 3 years old. Five days ago we noticed the FZ and FF side were warm. FZ was 38 F and FF was 57 F. Set points were 0 and 37. I removed the panel to see the evaporator coil and it was somewhat frosted - I don't know if this is normal or not. Picture is included. I cut the power and let it sit over night. I powered back on and ran self diagnostic tests in service mode. Everything was normal (dispenser to main board communications, thermistors, open duct and dampers) except that the evaporator fan did not start during its self test. I moved the blades with my fingers and then the fan started up and ran normally.

FZ Frost.jpg

I put a data logger in the freezer for several hours. The temperature plot is not nice and sinusoidal like it was a few months back. The plot below shows the temperature control in July (black curve) and now (green curve).
FZ temp comparison.png

Overall the freezer is controlling near the set point but why is it so different than in July where it is tightly controlled? Also, the evaporator fan runs but if I do the self test in service mode it turns off and needs a push to get going again. I don't know how these two things are related. Is this a main control board problem or an evaporator fan problem?

If I left out any information you need, just ask. Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Charger68

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply Rick. That was my original thought also.

But I left out an important detail in my original post. The water dispenser has worked intermittently since this has all started also. I thought it was my imagination until my wife confirmed it. Also, just this morning I ran the self tests in service mode again. This time I noticed that when running the Dispenser Self Test that the LED for the Lock Controls button did not toggle off/on when pushed. All other buttons on the display do toggle on/off. Finally, (I don't know if this is normal or not) I noticed that the refrigerator is slightly bulging now. I know this because it now rubs on both sides of the cabinet when I pull it out.

Here is a complete list of the things that started happening with the refrigerator all at the same time:

1. Temperature of FZ and FF not controlling well - more like drifting along than tightly controlled
2. Evap fan sometimes needs a push to start spinning
3. Water dispenser does not dispense water - this is intermittent
4. Lock controls button on dispenser display does not toggle on/off in service mode
5. Refrigerator slightly bulging

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Evap fan sometimes needs a push to start spinning
That's a bad fan motor.
Water dispenser does not dispense water............... does not toggle on/off in service mode.
Check the wires where they go into the bottom door hinge. Look for any broken wires or almost broken wires. That's common on SXS

Charger68

Premium Member
I did not find any damage to the wires at the bottom of the door. Water now comes out of the dispenser again. I am wondering if the problem with the water not coming out of the dispenser intermittently is because of a freezing water line.

I have ordered the evaporator fan motor. I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

Charger68

Premium Member
Just wanted to say that it was the evaporator fan. I replaced the fan and everything returned to normal. The temperatures returned to set points and the water dispenser works. The water line must have been freezing up when the fan was not moving air around inside like it should. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.