• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GSS25LGMBWW Fridge/Freezer not cooling - Multiple tests, no luck, what else can i try?

tb12goat

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25LGMBWW
Brand
GE
Model : GE GSS25LGMBWW

Hi, hope all is well. My GE fridge/freezer is not cooling properly. Freezer hovers between 23-34f degrees, and fridge side hangs in the upper 40's,.
I will post everything i tested below. I'm really hoping someone can help me out here.

Thanks.

Not yet tested:
Defrost thermostat
Motherboard

What i have tested:
-Condenser fan is running and coils are clean.
-Compressor feels warm and i can hear it kick on early in the morning, other than that it's quiet with a low hum.
-No residue under fridge, so i dont think its due to a freon leak.
-Fans on both sides turn on when pressing the door buttons -- how loud should these be when running? Freezer side fan is very quiet.
-Evaporator coils have some ice, not sure if this is considered bad.
coils.jpg

Multimeter tests:
FF #1 - 5.71 blue/red stripe
FF #2 - 6.01 yellow
Freezer #1 - 8.36 - red/white
Freezer #2 - 8.68 Freezer blue/white
J2 Pins on control board:
P3/P8 Fan motors +12v (White/double red) 13.70v
P3/P4 Evap fan motor (white/) 13.66v
P3/P5 Condenser fan motor (white/yellow) 12.07v
example:
plugged.jpg

How would you proceed? Should i try a new rebuilt motherboard?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks like a sealed system problem. The frost pattern does not look that good on your evaporator coil, Look at the last photo below and you will see what a NORMAL FROST PATTERN will look like.

Frost Patterns.jpg

tb12goat

Premium Member
Looks like a sealed system problem. The frost pattern does not look that good on your evaporator coil, Look at the last photo below and you will see what a NORMAL FROST PATTERN will look like.

View attachment 66933
Thanks for the reply. Here is another photo right after removing the back panel, the one I originally included was after 15 minutes. There is some light frost on the middle section, does this look any better? If not, is there anything I can do to temporarily help the cooling issue? Money is tight :/ Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7763.JPEG
    IMG_7763.JPEG
    385.3 KB · Views: 33

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, its missing a good majority of the middle evap. coil frost.

is there anything I can do to temporarily help the cooling issue?
Pull your refrigerator out from the wall and clean in the back with a vacuum or brush. If the condenser fan is running then it should be fine.

Are your condenser coils clean? If not that causes too much heat in the back where the compressor, condenser coil and control board are located.

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning Brush

If the condenser coil is clean and clear and the condenser fan motor is running, then unfortunately sealed system work is required and that can get very expensive too.

I know inflation is high now, so its best to buy a basic refrigerator, no bells or whistles.

Jake

tb12goat

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. Condenser coils are clean, fan is running and the compressor is warm. One last question before I toss in the towel. When I open the freezer door and press the side button I can hear the condensor fan but it's extremely quiet. Is this normal? Should I be feeling any airflow?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The one in the freezer is the evaporator fan motor, that should be running loud so you can hear it running WITH LOTS of air flow, so that could possibly be the cause.

Look here:

Unplug the refrigerator and check for the burnt resistor in that thread Rick wrote up, if its burnt OR slightly burnt you will need to replace the motherboard too.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10185

If your original motor has the thermistor in the motor assembly order this one:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10074

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942C

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.