• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GTH18EBTWW refrigerator broken evaporator fan power wire

dcguy

Model Number
GTH18EBTWW
Brand
GE
Hello,
I have a GE GTH18EBTWW refrigerator with a broken evaporator fan power wire.

About 2 weeks ago there was a build up of ice in the freezer that caused the evaporator fan blades to break. The evaporator fan motor was also noisy and vibrating a lot from being unbalanced, so I ordered OEM replacement parts for both fan blades and fan motor.

A few days ago I opened up the back panel of the freezer to attempt the repair/replacement and discovered that the orange power wire for the evaporator fan had broke as well, it snapped right at the "port" where all the wires come out. As is, it is too short to splice or solder the wires together and I wasn't sure if the port cover piece was removable by twisting or prying with a flat tool. Is this port cover piece removable? Or do I have to resort to drilling or cutting a piece out of the port cover to try to pull more of the wire out to repair?

Also, would something stupid like tapping the evaporator fan into another power wire work? Attached is a wiring chart I found for this model.

Thanks for your time.
dc

Attachments

• 20220503_202726 (Medium).jpg
    20220503_202726 (Medium).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220503_202845.jpg
    20220503_202845.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 54
  • large.56bd1984185f1_GEGTH18EBTZRWWRefrigeratorSchematic.png.322be218cbb0d259865669d2c654bdb8.png
    large.56bd1984185f1_GEGTH18EBTZRWWRefrigeratorSchematic.png.322be218cbb0d259865669d2c654bdb8.png
    290 KB · Views: 87

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

and I wasn't sure if the port cover piece was removable by twisting or prying with a flat tool. Is this port cover piece removable?

It will probably be foamed into place and not removable.
Definitely try running a new wire over from one of the orange wires on the other side and hooking it to the fan motor.

jeff sr.

Rabbii68

Premium Member
Hello,
I have a GE GTH18EBTWW refrigerator with a broken evaporator fan power wire.

About 2 weeks ago there was a build up of ice in the freezer that caused the evaporator fan blades to break. The evaporator fan motor was also noisy and vibrating a lot from being unbalanced, so I ordered OEM replacement parts for both fan blades and fan motor.

A few days ago I opened up the back panel of the freezer to attempt the repair/replacement and discovered that the orange power wire for the evaporator fan had broke as well, it snapped right at the "port" where all the wires come out. As is, it is too short to splice or solder the wires together and I wasn't sure if the port cover piece was removable by twisting or prying with a flat tool. Is this port cover piece removable? Or do I have to resort to drilling or cutting a piece out of the port cover to try to pull more of the wire out to repair?

Also, would something stupid like tapping the evaporator fan into another power wire work? Attached is a wiring chart I found for this model.

Thanks for your time.
dc
This just happened to me tonight but it was the black wire … didn’t know what to do either

jeff1

Staff member
Hi,

This just happened to me tonight but it was the black wire … didn’t know what to do either

Same model#?
Same wire diagram as the one the op posted?
Black wire going to what?

jeff sr.

Rabbii68

Premium Member
Black wire going to fan motor… snapped right at that same point and couldn’t slice into it or get any more out

jeff1

Staff member
large-56bd1984185f1_gegth18ebtzrwwrefrigeratorschematic-png-322be218cbb0d259865669d2c654bdb8-png.66049

The only black I see up there goes to the evaporator fan motor. I'd drill a small hole in the freezer back and run a new wire up from the black on the condenser fan motor and run it up the outside back and into the freezer to power the evaporator motor. Cover the hole with some permagum to seal it up.
Fun wow!

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.