• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GTS16DTHMRWW makes loud clicking noises

triclon

Premium Member
Model Number
GTS16DTHMRWW
Brand
GE
Hello I have been having this persistent problem. My GE refrigerator (model GTS16DTHMRWW) makes intermittent loud clicking noises when running. It is chinese water torture to listen to and I can't get away from it since I live in a studio, so I hope someone has some insight into this. The noise is coming from the back of the freezer behind the plastic. I called my landlord and they sent out their own repairman who couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with the refrigerator and suggested something was expanding/contracting when heating and cooling and that was the cause of the noise. It turned out the fridge is new and still under warranty so the landlord then contacted GE who sent their own repairman out. He came and removed the back plastic cover over the fan and metal coiling at the back of the freezer and stated the noise was the refrigerant boiling, and that this is a known issue. He then got what was labeled as WR49X20707 "Gas Noise Service Fix" which consisted of two rubber grommets. This fix had the following instructions which I will just quote verbatim below:

WR49X20707 Gas Noise Service Fix
Contents: 1-1" rubber grommet, 1-0.5" rubber grommet
1. Place the 0.5" rubber grommet around the junction of the capillary tube and evaporator inlet tube. If there is a permagum around the tubes, place the grommet over the permagum and tube.
2. Place the 1.0" rubber grommet around evaporator inlet on the first aluminum bend. Grommet should sit on the corner of the bend.

He put the grommets on the tubes and put everything in the freezer back together and said hopefully this will mitigate the noise, although there is no guarantee, and that nothing else could be done. The problem is that as far as I can tell, this fixed nothing. I still hear the clicking noises.

Short of begging my landlord to replace the refridgerator, is there anything more I can do? Should I contact GE again? Is it possible the repairman didn't put the rubber grommets on right? I have been searching all over the internet and can't seem to find anything about this issue.

Edit: I have uploaded a video of the noise.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately this issue has been a problem for all manufacturers since 1996 when the government mandated changing the freon from R-12 to R-134a.

You will eventually get used to it and your ears will tune it out. Its usually louder on TOP Freezer models than side by sides. My Admiral made by Maytag TOP FREEZER model in Oregon sounded like the 4th of July but my ears tuned it out after the 1st year.

The Kenmore 106 made by Whirlpool side by side I own here in Arizona sounds much quieter and I barely hear it at all.

Jake

triclon

Premium Member
I see. Well guess I just have to live with it then. I did find if I moved all the items in the freezer away from touching the back, the clicking noise seems to mostly go away. Maybe this improves the airflow or conduction between items in the freezer and the back was screwing with the refrigerant circulating?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly yes, that may help.

Jake

triclon

Premium Member
Just an update. I have tried to get used to it but I can't and it is driving me nuts (I live in a studio so there is no escape from the constant popping sound whenever the compressor comes on). In fact it seems like it is getting worse. I have called GE service again and someone is coming out again but I am not sure if there is anything they can do. Does anyone have any more insight into this issue? I'm contemplating unplugging the thing and getting a quite mini-fridge or just eating canned food, but I really wish there was a solution.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, putting myself in your place in a studio, it would sound louder. I wish there was something I could tell you to do to help you with that sound, but I no nothing that would get rid of that sound. Sorry.

Unless the studio manager could switch it out to a Whirlpool brand, it's not as loud as the GE models.

Jake