FIXED GE GTW680BSJ4WS Not spinning reguarly?

spankey

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW680
Brand
GE
Hello, new here and hoping someone could help maybe direct me to an issue we are experiencing on a GE top load washing machine we have.

Some background, this wash machine was replaced from an existing Lowes Plan for a Maytag we bought in 2015. Two years later in 2017 the Maytag broke, Lowes Protection replaced the price of that washer and we bought a GE. Sadly 15 months later the GE is now experiencing issues with spin cycles?

We tried washing multiple settings on the machine and at final spin the clothes sit and are just wet.
We then try to set it to drain and spin, you hear the pump kick on and then the spin cycle but the drum moves slowly back and forth, very minimal movement. You hear it making noise but nothing.

Today we ran a cycle and it worked. Sadly the 2nd cycle did not. Clothes still wet.

Could this possibly be a control board issue?

I'm loosing faith with washing machines today. Maytag lasted 2 years and now the GE 1 year later has issues.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I hate to pay $99 for a service call and find I have to sink $2-300 into this after one year of use.

Hope not breaking any rules by posting this link, but this is the washer we have if it helps https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-6-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White-ENERGY-STAR/999922476

Thanks all.
Spankey

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whats the serial number of this washer?

There is a software update for this problem if your serial number ends in RH,MH,ZG,AG: Module TL27 Update

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you sure that's 4G at the end?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Then your software should be fine.

I don't know a great deal about these newer GE models, they are not popular in my area. I don't have any tech. data information other than what I just posted above.

Hopefully another tech. that's run into this problem on this GE model can shed some light on it for us.

Other than that its best to have GE come out to see what's going on.

Jake

spankey

Premium Member
Thanks Jake no worries! Oddly the washer is now mysteriously working. I think it could be a faulty lid switch possibly? Not entirely sure

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You Bet!

Jake

I was experiencing the same thing with my GE GTW680BSJ4WS recently. Bought it from Lowe’s in March 2017. Would not spin in the final drain and spin cycle, sometimes. Starting happening more frequently over time. Everything else worked fine. Had a repair guy come over to confirm it was missing two software updates. I ended up ordering the SUM (software update module) myself and plugged it in back to update. Works perfectly now. Upset that I was 1 year out of warranty so had to pay it myself.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update on yours.:)

Glad to hear that fixed it!

For others following this thread: Here's that SUM software update module, if your serial number ends in RH,MH,ZG,AG: Module TL27 Update

Jake