• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GTWN4250D1WS Top Load Washer Wont Start Anymore

MSM806

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN4250D1WS
Brand
GE
GTWN4250D1WS
Purchased new 12/14

Wont start anymore. Approx 3 weeks ago apparently it started having issues. She would have to turn the settings dial back and forth several times before pushing start before it would begin working. It finally gave up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your missing a digit in your model number. Read it from the model number tag on the machine, its usually under the lid.

GTWN4250D0WS
GTWN4250D1WS
GTWN4250D2WS

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
My bad...GTWN4250D1WS
Thanks for the help
Also...when i hit “START” i can here a faint humming like its trying to do something, but never does. Also the lights in the control panel still light up as you turn thr dial to the different settings.
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Communication voltages are sent from the Control Board to the Motor. Test for these steady and pulsing serial voltages at the Control Board J7 Connecter.
Check for approximately 12.8 Volts DC steady from RED to BLUE. The BLUE wire is DC ground.
Check for the pulsing DC communication voltage from the RED and YELLOW. This is a pulsing, not a steady, voltage. If either voltage is absent at the Control Board J7 Connecter, replace the Control Board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
WH12X10614 Control Asm

If the steady and pulsing voltages are OK at the Control Board J7 Connecter, disconnect the communication harness at the Motor and check the Motor harness connecter for the same voltages found at the Control Board.
If voltages are OK at the Motor harness connecter, replace the Motor.

Here's the motor for your model you can order:
WH20X10094 Motor and Inverter Asm

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
At the J7 connector:
I checked voltage from red to blue and got 13.01steady.
I checked voltage from yellow to red and seems to bounce all over the place .795-.660-1.063-2.042-.998...and it keeps repeating.
How do i get to the motor to check voltages?

MSM806

Premium Member
K...got the front panel off and i believe its the motor right in front.
If its the same plug with the red, yellow, blue...i checked it the same way. Blue-red 13.01...red to yellow only goes between .683-.740-.851 and a few in bewteen, and repeats. Nothing higher in the 1.000-2.200 range like it did at the control panel.

MSM806

Premium Member
My next question is...if you are confident it is the motor...at $275 is it “worth it” to replace such an expensive part (not sure how involved replacement is, ill look once i get done posting) on a 6year old washer that if i remember right cost around $500 new. Just thinking whats next and then im into it for what it was new. Havent shopped around for new as this obviously wasnt part of the “plan”, lol.
Thanks for all of the help/advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes, its the motor that's bad.

How often is the washer running? Daily? Many times a day? If you have many members living in your household and its running daily or almost daily, then its best to save the repair money for a new washer.

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
Well thats not what i wanted to hear, lol. Yeah 2 adults two kids 11/13. School, sports so it runs a bit. And honestly not impressed with the washer anyways...lid already bubbling with rust on the inside, floor panel. underneath the tub all rusty. Well thank you for thr help and advice. Now to figure out what we should get next for replacement.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We recommend Maytag and Whirlpool for reliability and longevity.:)

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
Ok, cool that gives me some direction. Im seeing agitator and impeller...im guessing impeller is the latest and greatest?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Most folks still like the agitator style, including myself.:)

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
thank you. Ill look for an agitator model then. My work clothes get fairly dirty...even this washer we have didnt do a very good job at cleaning them. Ive been reading the impeller models dont do very well either. Time to start looking at more reviews.

MSM806

Premium Member
Well after doing some research and based on your maytag/whirlpool recommendations...i think ive narrowed it down to these... leaning towards the maytag models. Do yiu have any insight on any of these. As with any reviews as soon as you see 5or 6 that say how great it is and how goodit cleans you get someone saying its horrible, lol. The one maytag appeears to have more of the electronics involved, not sure how h the stuff holds up. All of these are available through costco which means i can get a 4yr warranty or with an extra $90 an additional 3 years for a total of 7 year warranty.
thanks for your time

Maytag :

MVWX655DW
MVWC565FW
MVW6230HW

Whirlpool:
WTW5105HW

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Either of these 2 are fine:
MVW6230HW
MVWC565FW

Jake

MSM806

Premium Member
Ok thanks for all the help Jake. Is there a specific model you recommend to people when you cannot fix theirs? There are a ton out there. I was looking at lowes warranty program after i looked at the few models costco carried and its pretty good also.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, either is fine.:)

Jake