• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GUD27ESSJ1WW Stackable leaking water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Model Number
GUD27ESSJ1WW
Brand
GE
Hey there

Have a stackable GE GUD27E22J1WW leaking water someplace in the back of unit. We found out about the leak because water was leaking into the condo below. Now we had a new custom drain pan put in years ago and I was shocked that there was water leaking below until I moved the washer and saw that the plumber never sealed the area around the pipe/pan.

So when I did run the washer yesterday, I did start seeing water come out I believe on the drain cycle and it seemed to be coming from someplace under it. Not 100% sure. It definitely was coming from someplace under but I didn't see anything inside the washer drum. Then last night ran some water and drain cycle with the diagnostic testing and looked again.

Inside the washer is dry except the very back left corner.

I didn't even notice this water in the back left till I saw a water dripping reflection on the wall with the lights on and with a flashlight on the back left side and then looked inside and you can barely see it. Also I've watched a few videos and up to the very top on those videos there's a water valve but that's not there on mine (mine seems to be located up top someplace).

There's also a clamp sitting on the bottom of the washer floor.

This is inside a laundry closet so I can't get back behind it but I pulled the intake hoses through the opening and felt no water on them.

Watched a few videos on the error codes and got an overflow and also thermo but I think those were from years ago when we had a few incidents.

I've reset the codes but haven't been able to run the washer till I get the drain pan issue resolved. Custom drain pan for our laundry closet (old condo) and the plumber never sealed the gap between the drain pipe and the cut in the pan. We found out about the leak because water was running out the gap there and into the unit's laundry closet below. Going to have to seal it with silicon and maybe a rubber washer.

Any insights/help greatly appreciated on possible issues here!

Attachments

• IMG_5100.jpg
    IMG_5100.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5096.jpg
    IMG_5096.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5098.jpg
    IMG_5098.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5099.jpg
    IMG_5099.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 36

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I moved the washer and saw that the plumber never sealed the area around the pipe/pan.
That's where its leaking from right?

Inside the washer is dry except the very back left corner.

I didn't even notice this water in the back left till I saw a water dripping reflection on the wall with the lights on and with a flashlight on the back left side and then looked inside and you can barely see it.
Did you actually see it leaking from there or was it just the reflection?

At any rate you will need to babysit it with a flashlight, or better yet, a droplight and see exactly where its leaking from.:)

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Sorry for the confusion. We discovered the leak in general because the unit below us was having water damage/dripping from their laundry closet ceiling.

We had this drip pan installed a few years back so I was like "how can they be having water leaking if the drip pan is working correctly"....so when I moved the washer to check the pipe/drain I saw that the drip pan wasn't sealed around the circular cut out for the drain pipe.

Long story short the water leaking from the washer isn't going down the drain pipe but instead it's going down the opening around the drain pipe that wasn't sealed and saturating the floor and dripping into the unit below... I need to get this fixed first so I can then fill/run the washer cycles again to see where the water is coming from.

But from my limited time looking I believe the water is coming from the back left side on drain cycle because when I started noticing water it appeared on the left side of the unit first well before it showed up on right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

But from my limited time looking I believe the water is coming from the back left side on drain cycle because when I started noticing water it appeared on the left side of the unit first well before it showed up on right side.
So if its only leaking in the drain cycle, then I'd first check the drain hose for a leak.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#252 is the drain hose

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
OK Jake I was completely wrong.

So after getting the washer drain pan sealed around the drain pipe, I ran a cycle and low and behold water started appearing during the fill cycle within a few minutes. I opened the front and couldn't see any issues within the inside/tub area.

I looked inside the tub and up and under and saw no water inside the interior of the washer and also looked at the fill tube coming from the pressure values (hot/cold) and couldn't see any wet/dripping areas. I opened the access door to the pressure valves where you connect the hot/cold and couldn't see anything wet.

Ran a diagnostic and no error codes... so I assume this had to be either a hose leaking or a valve leak? I actually pulled the hoses around and couldn't feel any water on them so it has to be coming from the machine someone on fill.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its going to be very difficult finding that leak unfortunately since you see no wetness on any parts.

Don't know what else to suggest.

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Yep no worries. I'll keep you posted. Going to try to get some sliders and lift straps and lift it up over the drip pan and then out of the closet far enough where I can just start a fill cycle and see if I see anything from behind. Appreciate all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
So I got a drop light and put it behind the washer and put my phone on a selfie stick back there and started filming on fill. Couldn't see any leaks from the stainless hoses (also pulled the hoses through the front opening that I unscrewed and felt them and nothing on them wet).

Water after about :30 seconds started coming out below the washer so it has to be something on fill....but again the whole interior of the washer is dry, even around the valve and fill spout

By chance, is there any weird thing with how the drain tube has to be run out of the washer into the drain in the wall? I know with dishwashers that hose has to be looped a certain way/etc. And could that somehow be leaking on fill somehow with some weird backwash or something or some weird water being syphoned and it's coming out the drain hose or something somehow?

Also do you have any suggestions on how to lift this thing out of the closet and over the drip pan that's about 2" high.

Thx

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those are good questions but I don't have the answers, except the drain hose should have U shaped piece at the end where it goes into your drain house drain pipe to keep the draining hose from moving around in the drain pipe.

Hopefully another tech. can shed some light on your other questions.

Jake

Last edited:

Spartan S4

Premium Member
OK so the plot thickens.

I went out and got a inspection camera. I put it under the washer on the left side near the back and turned on the fill cycle for like :15 seconds then shut it off.

Low and behold out of one of the back left holes on the bottom of the washer you can see water dripping/running out (pic 1), so I opened the tub enclosure and again couldn't see any water.

Then I went back in the enclosure with the camera and saw a trail of water on the metal thing sticking up and had no idea where it was coming from.

The ONLY thing there is the black drain tube so when I felt it, low and behold it was wet near the bottom! I reached behind the washer and the tube is not wet before the entry point on the back.

So from the entry point you can see 2 places where the black drain tube is zip tied. Somewhere in there it's wet and then it's wet all the way down to the little metal piece where you can see water on it. Water must be somehow coming from the drain tube (cracked?) and then dripping onto the metal bar and then running out the hole.

But HOW is water coming IN the drain tube on fill cycle???? Could there be something going on with the drain pump pulling water out on fill somehow and there's also a crack?

I'm sooooo confused atm. Most likely will call a repair person at this point but this is really odd.

Attachments

• IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5236.JPG
    IMG_5236.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5244.jpg
    IMG_5244.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5245.jpg
    IMG_5245.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Again, Those are good questions but I don't have the answers, unless I could see clearly where the leak is originating from.

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Jake found it. Drain hose. Videos attached (first 2 attachments).

Pulled the hose off the drain pump and lifted it up and immediately water started flowing out...there must be a hole/crack in it.

Video attached. Even put a squeeze bottle up to the open end by the pump and pumped some water in to just double confirm.

What's interesting is my black hose (WH41X10281) is no longer available and has been replaced by this grey one (WH41X26574). I wonder if that model is defective or something and would require GE to repair this free of charge?

Also any clue what this metal piece is (last 4 pics)? Was sitting in the middle of the washer on the bottom.

New Hose: geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/spec/WH41X26574

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.36.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.36.01 PM.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.20.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.20.28 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5287.mp4
    16.5 MB
  • IMG_5280.mp4
    10.9 MB
  • IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5286.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5099.jpg
    IMG_5099.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Hey Jake

Thanks. Looks like same # except in black? WH41X26574

Do you happen to know what this piece is? Can't find it on the diagrams with a ref pic.

Thx again for the help/assist!

Attachments

• IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5286.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 24

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also any clue what this metal piece is (last 4 pics)? Was sitting in the middle of the washer on the bottom.
Nope, not a clue, sorry, possibly shipping brackets that were removed after it was delivered to your house.

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Interesting thought. Maybe so. Thanks again. I'll post when I get the new hose in and let you know if it resolved the issue.

Thanks again for all the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, let us know how it goes with the new drain hose.

Jake

Spartan S4

Premium Member
Jake.

New hose came in (grey version) and fixed the issue.

What's interesting is the old black hose sat down on that little metal adjustable leg bracket and I guess with vibration over time the last years on the spin cycle it rocked it back and forth across that metal piece. You can see a long wear line and then the hole right in the middle.

Seem like the grey hose hangs higher but we'll see over time if it droops. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.