• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GUD27ESSMWW washer unit won't drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayK

Premium Member
Model Number
GUD27ESSMWW
Brand
GE
I have a GE upright washer/dryer unit that recently is leaving clothes soaking wet after a complete wash cycle.

During the rinse/spin cycle, the rinse and spin LEDs are flashing the entire time. Both rinse and spin LEDs turn solid "On" right at the end of the cycle for a few seconds. The Rinse & Spin flashing LEDs apparently indicate a "Critical Flood", meaning water level is too high. This is interesting since at the end, clothes at the bottom of the washer are soaking wet, but clothes at the top are not completely wet.

I can hear that the unit is draining some water at different points, but it doesn't seem to be spinning at full speed.

I did try unplugging the washer in case that reset anything, but that had no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas to look at before I call for help?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like you have something semi-clogging up in your drain pump causing it not to drain properly, thus it will never spin properly. Check inside the drain pump for something in it semi-clogging it up.

Here's the closest service manual I have to your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzvgAyLTSh14RzRTOThqM0ZVNVk

Look on page 38 and it tells you how to remove the front panel.

Then look on page 10 and you will see your drain pump located in the left front side.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WH23X10040

UNPLUG OR DISCONNECT POWER TO YOUR WASHER FIRST!

Then remove the rubber hose clamp that connects to the drain pump, if your tub is full of water, it will gush out, so be prepared.

I use a pinch off tool, you can buy it at Sears:

You pinch the tub-to-pump rubber hose off, then the tub water won't flood out on your floor.

Keep us posted.

Jake

RayK

Premium Member
Well, NO ONE IS GOING TO BELIEVE THIS....

I removed the front panel of the washer unit to take a look at the drain pump, which is exactly as Jake described it, and was shocked to see an array of clothing sitting outside the tub but inside the washer body. One piece had gotten caught in the tub actuator mechanism and the spin actuator belt had come off, probably because the mechanism had seized.

My son, who is 23, overfills the washer tub and I guess clothes at the top, mostly smaller items like socks, get flung over the top edge of the tub and fall down inside the washer, until something bad happens. I didn't think there was enough space for anything to escape the tub, but there is a 2-3" gap to give the tub plenty of sway space.

After removing the clothes (at least everything I can see or feel) and re-installing the agitator belt, everything works.

This one can be moved to "Fixed"!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Ray, glad that was all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.