FIXED GE Hotpoint Dryer HTX21EASK0WW... replaced everything, still no heat... help!

William Pike

Premium Member
Model Number
HTX21EASK0WW
Brand
GE
Hey folks, glad to be a part of the forum!

I am at my wits end. I’ve replaced the heating element, and all four thermostats, and still no heat.

Confounding thing, is that after I replaced the element, I initially got heat. But after one use, I lost it again. So, on to thermostats. I checked them all for continuity. They tested fine, but replaced them all anyway. Same problem... started up dryer, got heat, but then after running a load, it lost it again. I then checked timer, tested perfectly fine.

Any suggestions on what to look at next? The bridges dual breaker is fine, nothing blocking vent, all clear. So beyond all this I am at a loss for what is causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Will

William Pike

Premium Member
Well, I haven’t officially confirmed the 240. But given that the breakers are bridged wouldn’t that negate a trip on only one circuit?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
William Pike said:
given that the breakers are bridged wouldn’t that negate a trip on only one circuit?
No. Don't rely on just that. I have seen one side of a dual beaker open without tripping it. There could also be a problem in the wiring anywhere from the breaker box to the dryer.

Have you inspected the connection I pointed out yet? (BTW That location would make a perfect location to confirm full voltage to the appliance, eliminating everything in between.)

Don't assume, get facts.

JMO

William Pike

Premium Member
Hi Dan,

Okay, I'm going to check the breaker. Will also check the connection you mention at the terminal block to confirm full voltage, and will report back my results. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Will

William Pike

Premium Member
So I figured out the problem. It was the actual 240 outlet. One of the blade receptacles was damaged, and depending on how the plug sat in the receptacle, you either got the full 240 or 120, depending. I figured this out when I plugged it in, and did so only haphazardly, and everything was fine. It wasn't until I smacked the plug further into the outlet did it only not get heat. Then, when playing with it, you could hear something cooking in the outlet. I pulled the plug, and this is what we found... upon closer inspection to the outlet, you can see where the plastic insulation has hairline cracks... crazy

IMG_1036.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg