• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE HydroWAVE Washer (#GHWN4250D1WW) water leak

STONEcold

Premium Member
Model Number
GHWN4250D1WW
Brand
GE
Good Afternoon, please bear with me where, I do not have much experience with washers and how they work. I noticed my washing machine is leaking from the cabinet and after a load approximately12 hours ago I can still hear water moving around under the basket or in the tub. I tilted the washing machine to move it and water leaked out from the bottom of the front panel. The washer is not that old and runs perfectly fine so i'm curious if It was just overloaded to the point where the water could not drain or maybe it's borken, if so, can be fixed? I'm not sure if it sounds like the tub seal or something different. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like possibly your drain pump is leaking, Its located towards the front of the washer, behind the front panel.

Just remove the front panel and get a flashlight and see if the drain pump is leaking as it goes through the cycles. You can leave the front panel off and the machine will run fine.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WH23X10043

Watch this video to remove the front panel get access to the drain pump:

Its located in the front right side of your washer, after you remove the front access panel.

Let us know what you find!

Jake

STONEcold

Premium Member
Hello Jake, thanks for your reply and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have been trying to troubleshoot the issue for the past week. My wife neglected to inform me that during the wash the day before the load became extremely off balanced so I figured this may be where the majority of the water came from inside the washer, yet outside the tub. I dried it up, let it sit for a day and I took your advice and ran a few loads on medium with the front open and paying special attention to the drain pump. I was able to conclude that is not the issue. after slowly increasing the load size (no heavier than large) after a few days, no water problems.

I let my wife run a few small loads and guess what...next morning, there was traces of water outside the cabinet, so I opened it up and yes, water in the cabinet. Not as much the first time, but maybe an 8th of an inch. So again, I dried it up, ran a few loads, no problems. I did notice there was some condensation on the outside of the plastic tub in the cabinet, which may drip a bit. My well water tends to get very cold sometimes. Each time it leaked I found out my wife has been putting the '2nd spin, 2nd rinse' setting however, i'm not sure what happens during that cycle that may have contributed. It looks as though water may be dripping behind the back of the tub, behind the tub and bricks but hard to see without taking the entire machine apart.

I was even wondering if during fill up some water may be spritzing from the sprayer behind the tub. I took a toothbrush and scrubbed the holes incase they were clogged. I guess i will have to continue to watch the load cycles with the front off to see if I can pinpoint where the water may be coming from again. I can post pictures if needed, but again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you'll need to pinpoint where that water is coming from with the front panel off.

Could be a number of places, you will eventually find it.:)

Jake