GE Ice maker leaking between mold and drive mechanism

Jisake1

Model Number
CAN13
Brand
GE
Searching for cause or solution for ice maker suddenly creating an icicle down into bucket. The ice is forming down from between the drive mechanism and the heater mold. I pulled when discovered and cleaned a minor scale formation from around the mold. Assumed the water was tracing due to the scale lime buildup. Reinstalled and two days later have the some condition.
I verified the ice maker is level. (See photo’s). The remaining photo’s indicate location of building. I pulled the ice maker back out to verify if the water solenoid is leaking by. Does not show any indication of leaking by. I placed a container directly under spout to confirm any buildup.
Upon pulling ice maker, I noticed some ice building around a thermistor or sensor inside housing. You can see the sensor in last photo (0C937302-EB6F-45D4-AAE7-DB6E843F5DF3.JPG)
Is there a history of this sensor leaking by? I have not tore down yet. Hoping someone has a solution before I proceed. Is there a need to Re-glue, epoxy, or some other recommendation? I am just guessing at this time, but sensor appears to be location of the leak.
Is in a GE refrigerator, but as you will note, it is a typical Whirlpool style.
Ice maker is MODEL: (AS NOTED IN PHOTO)
DR. NO 200D1181G007
WR30X10012
MODEL CAN13

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've seen this happen many times on my service calls over the last 30 yrs, the solution is to replace the ice maker assembly. I haven't tried to re-glue or epoxy that leaking sensor, but you can try if you like.

I don't know why this happens, some of these ice makers develop this problem after 6 years and some don't till 8 to 10 years. Yes, these ice makers are a Whirlpool style and much more reliable than any LG and Samsung ice maker out there. LG and Samsung are the worst ice makers in the world, your lucky if you get 2 years out of them.

The manufacturer has replaced part number WR30X10012 with part number WR30X10093.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WR30X10093 Electromechanical Icemaker Kit

Jake