GE Icemaker: Makes Ice, Doesn't Dispense In Door?

BradP

Premium Member
Model Number
NEED
Brand
GE
Problem is with the GE side by side, not sure of model but can get it.

Seems the motor that dispenses the ice through the freezer door of my GE side by side isn't turning. Cubes are producing fine, and water comes through the door just fine. I opened the door and pushed the peg in at the bottom to watch what happens, at it seems that whatever needs to be turning back there just isn't turning.

Interestingly enough though, the circuit board which switches between cubed and crushed ice did get a bit touchy for a while, and stopped doing the crushed ice first. Now, cubed also won't dispense. Is it possibly just a bad control board instead of a bad motor?

The thing is though, when I press the button in for ice to dispense, if I manually put ice in the tube, that DOES work. So the board is signalling for the ice to dispense. That motor just isn't turning the auger looking thing to spin the ice into the door chamber.

I'm not an expert repairman but can do the basics of wiring in a new part if it's something that simple. Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach the problem or what I should try first?

Thank you for this service!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I would check voltage to the auger motor when you push for ice. It should be getting 120 volts to the auger motor, if not then its possible the ice dispenser board is dropping out on that circuit. If you do have 120 volts at the auger motor, then it would sound like a bad auger motor.

Jake

BradP

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for your reply.

Being an amateur fix-it dude, what is the safest way to do this? Will I need to remove the back plating from the freezer to get to the wiring that's going into the auger motor? Then, what tool do I need to test for voltage? I believe I have one, just a little box with a red and black port and an analog readout. A multimeter? That it?

Then, I need to touch somewhere on the motor while I push the switch in I assume? A 2 person job I take it? Have I got the process correct? Just want to make sure before I start taking everything apart. Looks like about 8 or 10 screws just to get that back plate off the freezer.

Oh, and if it IS the motor...Easy to replace?

Thanks,

Brad

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

GaBengal

Premium Member
Tfx25

I have a TFX25 that is doing this same thing. I thought it might be the motor but after $100 it still does not work. You can hear the solenoid jump when the dispense button is pushed but no motor movement. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

GaBengal

Premium Member
Model Number

The model number for the fridge is TFX25ZPBGWW.
The front is slide lever from water to crushed to cubes and a light switch. Then below is the dispense button.

ibantu

Premium Member
I have the same problem with my whirlpool

Can anyone tell me if my whirlpool model TGF355BHWB is affected by the same circuit board problem?

My ice maker makes ice very well, but it does not dispense crushed ice or cubed ice. When I push the lever, nothing happens. Not a sound is made. I am very competent with electronic testing, but I have no experience with refridgerators.

Can you give me some advice?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That model# shows your appliance is a Tappen Gas Range, is this true?

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399 colSpan=2>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model Number[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model Description[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brand[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio CHECKED value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1269&prd_typ_id=0124002&model_num=TGF355BHWB&doc_id=&model_desc=~GAS RANGE^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TGF355BHWB[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GAS RANGE[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TAPPAN[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jake

ibantu

Premium Member
Tappan

No, it is a Whirlpool. I'M SORRY! I gave you the wrong appliance. The model number is: ED25PQ. Do they still make replacement drawers for the unit. The original clear plastic drawers and freezer parts break very easily.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Were getting closer.:) We need some more letters/numbers after the Q.

Here is all the models I found:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399 colSpan=2>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model Number[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model Description[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#333399>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brand[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio CHECKED value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDN00&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDN00[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDN01&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATORS^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDN01[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATORS[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDN03&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDN03[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDN04&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDN04[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDW00&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDW00[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDW01&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATORS^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDW01[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATORS[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDW03&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDW03[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXDW04&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXDW04[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFN00&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFN00[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFN01&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFN01[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFN02&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFN02[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFW00&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFW00[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value=document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFW01&doc_id=&model_desc=~REFRIGERATOR^& name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFW01[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXFW02&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXFW02[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXYW00&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXYW00[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=radio value="document_search.asp?bnd_id=1198&prd_typ_id=0165000&model_num=ED25PQXYW01&doc_id=&model_desc=~SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR^&" name=modelSelect></TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ED25PQXYW01[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR[/FONT]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHIRLPOOL[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jake

Mutt

Same problem...grrrrrrrr!

Howdy, ya'll!

I'm new to the forum, but came here with the same problem. My GE side-by-side icemaker motor sounds like it is trying to work when activated on cubed, but the auger doesn't turn. It also activates the electromagnet which clunks upon activation, but does nothing. When I switch it to crushed, nothing happens...no sounds, even. Water dispenses fine. I have pulled the motor out to "defrost" as it noted on another site, but I have a feeling a relay is bad somewhere. Please lend me your advice.

GE Model number: GSS25JSRESS

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Best way to test the auger motor is with it out of your freezer, bench test it.

Connect 120VAC cheater test cord to it and plug it in an outlet(an old lamp cord with alligator clips works well) If the motor doesn't run, it's bad if it does run then the problem is probably in the dispenser control board.

Here's the auger motor for your model you can order:
Auger Motor WR60X10258 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the dispenser board for your model you can order if needed:
Dispenser Control Board WR55X10444 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Thecnos5000

Ge refrigerator

Ok ice maker produce ice but it not dispense but i hear the noise of the motor but it takes to long to dispense like two cubes i got the bucket out cleaned and yet nothing any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, we need the model# of your refrigerator, click here to locate it:
Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com

If the auger motor is turning but slow to draw cubes out that usually indicates your impeller helix is cracked or broken.

Jake