• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

GE JE1540WW mw fan running when door is open

kdh

Premium Member
My microwave fan and turntable are running when the door is open. I am not sure whether microvave is actually running with the door open, but I can hear the fan humming and turntable turning. If I close the door, the hum disappears. It seems to work properly (ie food is heated). The model is GE JE1540WW 003, and is about 8 years old. Any idea how to fix? Also is dangerous to continue to use, since I am not sure there's microwave when the door is open. Thx.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

2 common trouble makers....door switch/door switch mechanism or stuck/sticky relay on the control board.

I'd always go simple first and check the door switchs.

Also is dangerous to continue to use, since I am not sure there's microwave when the door is open
Would be a good idea to discontinue using it until the problem is corrected.

jeff.