• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED GE JE1860WH04 1.8 cu. ft. Overheating smell when microwaving something longer that around 4 min

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
So the holder for the side of the last fuse that heated up enough to squirt out Solder is definitely showing signs of heating based on the discoloration. Also, the underside of the PCB shows a bit of heating.

Here are the photos.

20190818_184858.jpg 20190818_184822.jpg
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
2,092
Location
Canada
So the holder for the side of the last fuse that heated up enough to squirt out Solder is definitely showing signs of heating
I agree and there should be no reason for heat there.

I would suggest you start by replacing that noise filter/fuse holder # WB02X11250 and also a new fuse and see how it performs then. Many suppliers show the noise filter as out of stock so it might have to be ordered in.

Dan O.
 

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
Hmmmm, I am looking at the board, and I think I can refurbish it pretty easy. I need to get some new flux, but I am good on everything else needed to de-solder and replace the few components on the board. That assumes I don't run into component availability issues, or minimum quantities! I am not worried about it being multi-layer, so it should be a straightforward 2 hours.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,218
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
I wouldn't read too much into it. If this was a service call I would just pop in another fuse. To me the noise filter and fuse holder don't look bad enough to warrant replacement. I've replaced a lot of 20 amp ceramic fuses in microwaves and I've never seen one fail like that. It might just be a defective fuse. Just make sure the fuse fits tight in the fuse holder.
 

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
I have a buddy at work that has a Heat Gun I think. I will see if I can borrow it. I just want to see what temp the fuse reaches, and it if goes above 125C then I will be worried, because that is max operating temp per specs.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,218
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Except that's not a thermal fuse. You would be better off taking an amp reading. The TCO on the mag tube is a thermal fuse. Look and see what temperature is on that part. In fact there are several TCO's in that machine that open between 150°F -275°F
 

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
So I finally found a Noise Filter Board from a microwave from Goodwill. I hope it works, and will be installing this weekend.
 

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
So this is weird, but the board from the donor Microwave is different than the possibly bad board I have, but the donor board matches all the pictures for the correct replacement part. The board in my microwave appears to be an LG part. Since the Magnetron is an LG part, that may make sense. The board I got has a number of 6201W1A014A on it, but it does not fit the assembly that holds the fan. So that makes me think that LG board is the correct board. I have attached photos of the LG board.

Now for the good news, even though the donor part is different, the Microwave works just fine. The filter board is cool to the touch even after boiling water for 5 minutes. I am now on the prowl for an LG part!




20191108_192301.jpg20191108_192309.jpg20191108_192429.jpg
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
2,092
Location
Canada
jeepman said:
that makes me think that LG board is the correct board. I have attached photos of the LG board.
If the pictures are of the part needing to be replaced, I traced the number on it (C2B72130M) to GE part # WB02X11257. It seems to be out of stock at several vendors. It too might be in the process of becoming discontinued?

Dan O.
 

jeepman

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
50
Location
Texas
If the pictures are of the part needing to be replaced, I traced the number on it (C2B72130M) to GE part # WB02X11257. It seems to be out of stock at several vendors. It too might be in the process of becoming discontinued?

Dan O.
I was able to find a used one, and the microwave is working just fine. I think I need to consider that I will eventually need to face the fact my luck will run out and I will need a new microwave, and that would likely require a trim kit! Oh well, part of home ownership I guess!

Oh, this can be marked as RESOLVED.
 
Top