• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE JGB900SEK2SS—Broiler ignitor unresponsive, oven semi-ignites and only warms to 145F

kedixo

Premium Member
Model Number
JGB900SEK2SS
Brand
GE
Hello, experts, I'm hoping you can advise on a diagnosis, and let me know if this is a repair I can do myself!

Symptoms with GE JGB900SEK2SS:
  • Broiler, both settings, completely unresponsive—igniter does nothing (it should glow, right?) and no flames even after many minutes of waiting
  • Oven: I can see that it's "flaming on" (I see orange brightness through the open grate on the floor of the oven), but it somehow seems weaker than I would expect. The oven will only warm to approximately 145 degrees even after waiting a long time. Sometimes after these efforts I open the oven and get the faintest smell of natural gas.
  • Cooktop behaving 100% fine—all burners good, igniters good.
  • Touch-controls 100% fine—a functionality as normal.
  • Oven has not been "moved," slid in/out, banged around—one day it just stopped working with symptoms above.
  • I even checked and the manual said "if surface lights but oven does not," I should check if that gas shut-off valve in the back of the drawer has been turned off. I looked, and I do not have a valve there to turn on/off.
Thank you for any advice!!!

kedixo

Premium Member
i wanted to share a pic of the gas shut-off assembly — i don't see a valve there that could go on/off?

IMG_1647.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is most likely caused by a weak BAKE igniter. It can be checked by measuring the amount of current to the igniter. It should be 3.2 to 3.6 amps.

Here's the BAKE ignitor glow bar for your model:
Igniter WB13K21

For the BROIL igniter glow bar, disconnect the electrical connector that connects to it and get a multimeter and see if your meter reads 120 Volts AC when you have BROIL set to ON.

Here's the BROIL ignitor glow bar for your model:
WB13X25261 Igniter Glowbar

This video shows you how to use a multimeter:

Jake