GE JGSP28BEK2BB oven not lighting

davidtg

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSP28BEK2BB
Brand
GE
Hi, all --

My daughter has a fairly new-looking GE JGSP28BEK2BB (serial no AL2 29042 Q but I don't see a mfr date) whose oven suddenly won't light. The range top works fine, the display indicates normal rather than Sabbath mode, and even the broiler lights, so I suspect the main oven igniter. First of all, does that sound like a reasonable conclusion?

I hope to order her the right part and have her tackle the repair herself since she's three-plus hours away. Would you trust this **********************
unit that is so much cheaper than the $100-plus others I've found, or is it too good to be true?

And do you have any pointers to a troubleshooting/replacement guide or video better than this: Bake ignitor replacement video

She's handy but inexperienced, so she just needs good docs.

Here's hoping this one can be a quick fix that actually gets DONE in short order... :)

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would you trust this **********************
unit that is so much cheaper than the $100-plus others I've found, or is it too good to be true?
Its too good to be true.:)

do you have any pointers to a troubleshooting/replacement guide
Have her start the oven on BAKE at 350, then tell her to open the oven door and watch for a orange glow at the bottom of her oven.

If she sees no orange glow after a couple minutes, What us techs do is test for 120 volts at the plug where the BAKE igniter plugs into, so you just unplug the BAKE igniter at the plastic electrical connector that it plugs into, then put the meter leads into each of the 2 holes of the plastic electrical connector that the igniter plugs into, then turn the oven ON BAKE and start it, IF you see the meter reading 120 volts, then your BAKE igniter is bad and it will need to be replaced.

Here's the BAKE ignitor for her model:
Igniter WB13T10045

Jake

davidtg

Premium Member
Missing part URL

Wait -- what? Where did my *********
URL go?? ********************

Last edited by a moderator:

davidtg

Premium Member
clarification

Its too good to be true.:)
Dang! Wrong part (I've reposted the URL, which somehow got eaten) or just low quality?

Have her start the oven on BAKE at 350, then tell her to open the oven door and watch for a orange glow at the bottom of her oven.
She's tried that, and the fan runs but it never gets hot. We also don't see anything glowing *but* don't see evidence of something that should glow anyway. Should she pull the drawer and look underneath for the igniter? Does the oven floor come out?

If she sees no orange glow after a couple minutes, What us techs do is test for 120 volts at the plug where the BAKE igniter plugs into,
I'm getting her a multimeter to accomplish that :)

Can she get to the plug without removing any cover/retaining panels?

Will she be able to poke the probe tips into the fitting and have them stay to then go up and turn on the oven, or is this a two-person job? [I'd rather have her out of there when she applies power rather than poking hot anyway...]

Thanks again & HANW

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just removed your repost to that company you posted, please don't link it or mention it, thanks.:)

We only recommend AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, because they are OEM parts dealers and you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.

The video here: Bake ignitor replacement video explains exactly how to access that BAKE ignitor glow bar.:)

She may have to remove the bottom storage drawer and she will definity have to remove the bottom panel inside the oven to access it.

Will she be able to poke the probe tips into the fitting and have them stay to then go up and turn on the oven, or is this a two-person job? [I'd rather have her out of there when she applies power rather than poking hot anyway...]
Its best to have a helper with doing that.:)

Jake

davidtg

Premium Member
Jake, et al --

I just removed your repost to that company you posted, please don't link it or mention it, thanks.:)

We only recommend AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, because they are OEM parts dealers and you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.
Ah! That explains where it went the first time, I imagine :) Thanks for the clarification, and I didn't mean to point the wrong way. I just didn't know the local customs, so to speak. And I know I've bought through your links before and been happy.

The video here: Bake ignitor replacement video explains exactly how to access that BAKE ignitor glow bar.:)

She may have to remove the bottom storage drawer and she will definity have to remove the bottom panel inside the oven to access it.
I've seen that one; thanks. [I may even have originally posted that one!] I'm glad to hear that the oven bottom DOES come out, but this video doesn't show that :-( Meanwhile, this igniter is somehow only $36 instead of $110. That's a bonus already!

Its best to have a helper with doing that.:)

Jake
Arrrrgh. Makes sense, but now I'm back to recruiting another pair of hands to avoid a seven-hour round trip. Hmmmm...

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member