FIXED GE JKP35 randomly cutting off

Mustfish

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP35
Brand
GE
My double wall oven is cutting off randomly while baking. When it cuts off I get no kind of alarm code, the clock reading stays on and it displays correct time. The cooling fan will continue to run just as it would had I cut the oven off on purpose. I also noticed that when the oven stops baking it also cuts off the oven light. Since it happens randomly and I see no reason why a cook cycle should effect the oven light I decided to replace the control panel. My wife informed me that the oven cut off twice while cooking chicken. My control board replacement was not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mustfish

Premium Member
My wife just cooked sweet potatoes for 2 hours and oven worked fine. Go figure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd check your wire harness in the back of your double oven for a shorted wire, or frayed wire where the wire insulation may be cracked or cut causing a short that would also cut off the light bulb inside the oven.

You'd need to get a helper to help you pull it out from the wall if you plan to do it yourself, these double ovens are very heavy. Make sure you turn the breaker OFF first to the double oven before you pull it out from the wall.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know what you find.

Jake

Mustfish

Premium Member
I haven't trouble shot anymore since we last cooked in it. My wife claimed the oven wasn't getting hot enough even though it reaches set point according to the display. An oven thermometer verified she was right. A set point of 375 yields 305 actual. So, oven cuts off intermittently along with the oven light and it is not reaching temp. And we have a brand new control board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
JKP35 is just a partial model number, we would need the complete model number.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Read post#3 again, it has to be a wiring problem, that's all it can be at this point.

Jake

Mustfish

Premium Member
My wife got tired of me messing with it and called the appliance man. He ohmed out the temperature sensor in the back wall of the oven. At room temperature it was 1325. I think he said it should have been around 1080ish. We looked at wire connections and everything looked tight with no fraying on insulation.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
temperature sensor in the back wall of the oven. At room temperature it was 1325.
That's what I was going to suggest to do next once I had the complete model number.

Normal would be 1050 to 1100 ohms at room temperature.

I also noticed that when the oven stops baking it also cuts off the oven light
But a bad oven sensor would not cut off the oven light, see what I mean by checking the wires?

When it cuts off, the oven temperature in the display does not stay at say 350? It goes back to the default clock time, like the oven was not even ON?

Jake

Mustfish

Premium Member
So far the oven sensor has fixed the problem with this oven. No more randomly cutting off while baking.

Mustfish

Premium Member
I forgot to mention Jake, yes, the oven would default back to the clock time as though you had never been baking anything. If you happened to have the oven light on it would also cut that off. So far so good though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, Glad to hear the new oven sensor fixed it.:)

It should measure between 1050 to 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Here's the oven sensor for your model, in case others need it too:
WB21X22134 Oven Temperature Sensor Assembly

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Mustfish

Premium Member
Jake my oven is screwing up again. Started off with oven cutting off while baking. I replaced the control panel and that didn't fix it. I replaced the bad oven sensor and that fixed it for awhile. Later on the oven started throwing the door lock code in Hi broil mode. My wife was baking yesterday at 450 and it threw the door lock code and stopped baking. Door wasn't actually locked because she opened the door. I haven't rechecked the oven sensor because it's brand new.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mustfish

Premium Member
We haven't had any problems since my last post. I think my wife has done bake only as far as I know. This morning she did high broil for about 8 minutes while toasting muffins. I took out the muffins and canceled broil. About a minute or so later door lock message came on and it sounded like the fan kicked into a higher speed. A few minutes later the door lock canceled and the fan reduced speed. In the history of owning this oven using broil never resulted in locking the door. I tested the temp sensor at room temperature and it was 1100. Wife has not tried baking at 450 yet since last post. All her baking has been at 350 which seems to work fine.