• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

GE JVM1790BK01 / SK01 REPAIR OF DIM DISPLAY

ron6399

Model Number
JVM1790BK01
Brand
GE
The display on these microwaves go dim after years of use. The expensive fix is to replace the main control board part. no. WB27X10866 , the price ranges from $180- $220 if you replace yourself. I had this issue and I was determined to repair myself. I found the schematic for the main control board ( WB27X10866) online. The drawing lists two capacitors in the circuit to supply the voltages needed for the vacuum tube display. The 2 capacitors in question are c11 and c12, c11 is a 680 uf 35v and c12 is a 220 uf 50v cap. These 2 caps are in the circuit which provide the voltages necessary for proper operation of the display. I ordered Panasonic low esr caps for the repair on ebay , as I matter of fact I got a few extras of each and the cost was $10 or so. By the way the print is wrong for c12, it calls out a 35v cap when actually it was a 50v cap. If you have soldering skills you should be set as the repair is fairly easy. I metered the c12 220uf cap and it was actually bad on my board. The GE JVM1790 has multiple variations but it appears they all use WB27X10866 board. I've attached the service manual which contains the schematic for this board , hope this helps you repair your microwave, thx

Attachments