GE LH-110 -- Wire broke off of compressor (?) and missing relay issue

melok

Premium Member
Hi there,

I recently acquired a GE LH-110 (year unknown) and was able to clean it up to look nice and sparkly. It has all of the shelves, drip tray, etc in tact. However, when I went to examine the wiring, one of the three wires coming from what I'm assuming is the compressor snapped clean off. That wiring is pretty mucky and stiff in some spots, but everything else seems to be pliable and in good condition. The relay is also missing, and the replacement part the former owner gave me doesn't seem to match this model (photo attached). When I touch the remaining two attached wires together they spark.

The light bulbs inside the refrigerator turn on when the fridge is plugged in, so all of that wiring still works and looks clean and good.

I've attached photos of the back of the unit. The blue wire is that one that broke off.

My question is can the wires from this part be replaced or repaired? Is it an easy DIY?

I set an appointment with a vintage appliance repair shop in the Los Angeles area (two hours away from me) for next week, but I want to go in somewhat informed. How much does a repair or rewiring like that normally cost? What other (cost effective) solutions would you recommend if any?

Thank you so much!

IMG_0623-1.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0616.jpgIMG_0617.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_0640.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The relay in the second picture looks correct for that model. You will need to locate the three connections on the compressor. They're probably behind the metal cover in your last two pictures. Measure the resistance between the three connections on the compressor. Let's call them A,B,and C so measure A-B, A-C, and B-C. Look for any wire diagrams or numbers on the compressor. Then measure from each pin/connection to the compressor body or ground. Any reading here, the compressor is bad. Once I get the measurements of the compressor windings I can tell you how to wire in a solid state relay/overload. You might only need to replace a wire section.

melok

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Thanks so much. That's good news about the relay. I guess the real problem is that there are only two wires coming out from the compressor. The other one broke off. Is it possible to replace/reconnect a third wire to this kind of compressor?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
....the real problem is that there are only two wires coming out from the compressor.
That's why you need to remove that cover and access the three connectors or pins on the compressor.

melok

Premium Member
Oops, I see what you're saying now. I pulled the whole part out and I don't see how to remove any kind of cover around the wires. I'll look again tomorrow when I have more light and another set of hands.

I did find this plate that might be helpful in identifying the part or repair/replacement options.

IMG_0642.jpg

Last edited:

melok

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Wow that cover was right in front of my eyes and so easy to remove during daylight. I removed it and found the three connectors. What's the next step? What kind of wiring should I buy and what's the best/safest way to attach it?

rickgburton

Staff member
.....I removed it and found the three connectors. What's the next step?
rickgburton said:
Measure the resistance between the three connections on the compressor. Let's call them A,B,and C so measure A-B, A-C, and B-C. Look for any wire diagrams or numbers on the compressor. Then measure from each pin/connection to the compressor body or ground. Any reading here, the compressor is bad.

Don't worry about any wires just yet. You may not need to replace any. Set your meter on the lowest ohms scale. First measure from each pin to the compressor body. Try to find a spot without paint on it. Any reading other than 1 or infinite, the compressor is bad.

melok

Premium Member
I'll pick up a meter tomorrow so we can continue.

Today we were able to reattach the wire to the compressor and hot wire the refrigerator. The compressor kicked on and started cooling immediately and kept running until I unplugged it after about 15 minutes. I re-attached the original relay and it kicked on and off every 15 seconds or so. I'm assuming this means my relay is bad.

How easy is the solid state relay you mentioned?