• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

    It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

GE microwave JVM1540DM2BB not heating


Premium Member
Nov 20, 2021
Model Number
More than 10 years
Hello. Never had an issue with it until yesterday. I went to heat up some leftover beans (and then cook some popcorn) and they did not cook. I put a mug of water in (to heat) for two minutes and it was still cold at the end of the cycle. The microwave functions as it always has. Every panel function works. When start is pressed the turntable spins and everything sounds normal. The door (and lights) function normally. There are NO unusual sounds (humming or buzzing). Lights, vents, fans, noise, controls all normal. I took the front panel off to have a look. No scorching or burned marks. No visible signs of failure anywhere. The fuse looks clean. There are no "burnt" smells at all. It is just not heating anything. Doing a bit of research I've read that a bad magnetron or capacitor usually results in an unusual noise...a loud humming (or similar). I do not hear that at all. Given that it is a 15+ year old unit I do not want to dump a bunch of money into it....but my gut is telling me to buy a replacement diode and see if it works. Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.
Would you be able to post a picture of the entire model label inside the door?
here you go.
Perfect. Thank you. That’s an LG made model for GE. One of the better ones. I would focus on the diode and capacitor if everything functions except no heat. The other issues that could cause a no heat would be magnetron and control board but they are costly. There are some thermostats on this model but they would affect the lights, fan etc. so I believe they are good. Be sure to unplug the microwave and discharge the capacitor before working on it.
Thanks. This is good information. I will start with the diode and go from there. The capacitor does not look swollen or blown (as the one on my outdoor AC unit did when it failed). Hopefully a new diode will help. Will give it a go. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.