• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Microwave JVM1750DP2BB Loosing the clock, timer display

Maddad2

Premium Member
Model Number
JVM1750DP2BB
Brand
GE
My 2012 over the oven microwave is acting weird. It's model number is JVM1750DP2BB. I loose the display but not the interior light after opening the door after heating anything. I have to kill the breaker and turn it back on, then the display comes back on. I have to reset the time. It will work OK for heating something after turning the breaker off then back on, but only till I open the door after heating something, then it's power off then back on to get the display back. If I don't heat something up, I can open the door and close it without it loosing the display. I'm sure it.s something minor wore out, but I get no help from GE.
Thanks for any help.

Maddad2

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. We decided to just get a new Microwave as the old one is 9 years old. Found a nice one at Home Depot on sale. Just got to find someone to help with the removal and install of the new one. Getting old don't ya know.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It’s a two man job for sure. If you got another GE you probably won’t need to change the mounting bracket.

Maddad2

Premium Member
The neighbor came over today and we got the new one installed. Nothing matched up with the older ones for mounting. The holes for the bolts from above were off by about 1.5 inches, and the old ones used a back plate that took up the almost the entire wall. The new one was just a strip across the bottom. Oh well, got it in and it works just fine.

Maddad2

Premium Member
That’s a few years past their life expectancy of 7-8. Good deal!
That darn halogan bulb gets so hot I'm afraid it will melt the plastic cover, and will burn ya. I found a LED 50 watt bulb that had the pins almost as wide as the halogen. With a little tweaking with some needle nose pliers got it to plug in. It puts out more light and doesn't get hot after 4 hours of run time. Just an FYI.