• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Microwave Power off while cooking question

Dan Frye

Premium Member
Mar 24, 2019
Model Number
6-10 years
Hello all,

I have a GE PVM9179SK1SS microwave that just started giving the error message "power went off during cooking - press any button to continue". Pressing any button resets the unit. Some times I will get the error in 1 minute and other times it takes 3-4 minutes.

After it shuts off the cooking cycle, the time of day display and buttons work fine. The cooling fan and magnetron both sound normal and appear to working normal as it is heating up the food. All of the connections look ok (no indications of burning). Could the thermal cut off be weak or failing?

Any and all ideas are welcome. I am reluctant to just start throwing parts at it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
That's an interesting issue in that the error is not listed. Thermal cutoffs are quite possible. I believe the mag tco will reset and when it fails, it is inline and there will be no power. Just like a power failure. I'll upload the mini manual. There were no related bulletins on the GE site.


  • 31-30858-Mini-Manual-36061.PDF
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Thank you so much for looking into this and your reply Wx4usa! I will replace the mag tco and report back.
In your experience, do my symtoms sound like a failing mag? My focus has been on it overheating but the cooling fan appears to be working properly.
I could be overheating. You also have a cavity TCO that cuts power to the MW. Also check the internal charcoal air filter. If could restrict airflow to the magnetron. Look for cracked magnets on the magnetron too.
Thanks again! I did check the charcoal air filter and even ran it without it thinking about blockage. I will check the cavity TCO and the magnets -- I didn't think of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.