• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Microwave PVM1870SM1SS Buzzes, then pops (arc sound), then no heat

phaze426

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM1870SM1SS
Brand
GE
This morning when I tried to heat up some food with my GE PVM1870SM1SS, I heard a much louder buzzing than the normal hum of the unit. After about 10 seconds of this, I heard a pop/crackle (sounded a bit like an electrical arc internally), then the unit quieted down (quieter than normal operation) and continued counting down/spinning turntable. However, there was no heating of the food. Any ideas if this old unit is worth replacing? Any cheap failures that could cause this? Otherwise will likely be looking at just buying a replacement unit given the age of the microwave. Thanks in advance for any help pointing me in the right direction.