• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Microwave PVM9179SKSS Vent emits high pitched whistle

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM9179SKSS
Brand
GE
Hello all, I bought this GE microwave: https://www.geappliances.com/applia...ion-Over-the-Range-Microwave-Oven-PVM9179SKSS

It actually works great and we love the microwave. However, since it was taken straight out of the box, whenever the vent is turned on, it emits a high pitched whistling sound. It is extremely irritating.

GE sent repair guys twice and they could not figure out the issue. The microwave still made a high pitched whistling sound even when it was sitting on my counter. So it's not coming from my end. The repair guys told me "this is just how it is." If I knew that beforehand, I most certainly would not have bought this microwave. Even then, there is no way that the vent of a microwave should make this sound anyways.

GE is fighting my wife and I in providing a new microwave to see if it makes the same high pitched whistle. Right now, they are sending repair guys for the THIRD time (from an outside company) to evaluate the microwave.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their microwave. Any advice? It would be extremely difficult to get a different microwave because the house came with a GE profile before and the new one is the same size as the old one, which fits the space perfectly, without having to touch the backsplash to make room for it.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It would be extremely difficult to get a different microwave
Most microwave hood combinations are the same size designed to fit in the space above the range. The difference is in the mounting. The mounting bracket probably needs to be changed but the bracket comes with different holes to match up with the existing holes (usually).

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Thanks for your response. I was saying that other microwaves may stick out another inch or be another inch or two taller, which would mean it would take up more space over the stove. I'm not sure what that has to do with the mounting brackets?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I guess I was confused by the words "extremely difficult". I was just saying any brand and model will fit in that space. Any brand other than GE you would need to change the mounting bracket.

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Sorry about that, I was talking about the dimensions of the microwave b/c a lot of the other ones are a inch deeper and/or an inch taller. Sticking out another inch will look funny.