FIXED GE Model JTP56SD1SS convection fan seizes and heating element keeps heating

Cdnewell23

Premium Member
Model
JTP56SD1SS
Brand
GE
This a 17 year old oven. When using convection bake at 400 degrees, the fan and heating element turn on and both run until about 300 degrees. Then, convection fan seizes and heating element keeps heating. Sounds like fan motor is running, but blade is not turning. It stops heating at preset temp of 400 although temp in oven (used separate temp device) is only about 300. Non convection settings using bake and broil seem to work fine. Should I replace convection fan motor? What’s up?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the convection fan parts for your model: Parts for GE JTP56SD1SS: Convection Fan Parts

#514 is the convection fan motor cover that's located inside the oven
#977 is the fan blade nut that holds the fan in place on the motor shaft
#43 is the blade hub assembly
#511 is the fan blade

Make sure you turn the breaker off to your double oven before accessing those parts, then see how well the motor shaft turns both ways, it shouldn't be tight to turn it.

It sounds like either the convection motor bearing is wearing out, or the fan blade on the motor shaft is stripped.

Here's the convection fan motor assembly for your model(It includes the blade hub assembly and fan blade):
WB26K5069 Fan Motor Conv

Jake

Cdnewell23

Premium Member
Thank you. Since the motor appears to be working, can I just replace the fan blade and nut or do I have to change the motor too? Also, will this require me to pull the oven out of the wall? This is a built in double oven so if I have to pull it out, that adds a lot of time/effort to the repair.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can just replace the blade hub assembly and fan blade and nut separately.

I believe that nut is left-handed threads.

Also, will this require me to pull the oven out of the wall?
No, only if you change the complete motor assembly then you'd need to pull it out from the wall and do it from the rear.

Correct, these double ovens are very heavy, you'd need a helper help you take it out from the wall if you change the motor assembly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Cdnewell23

Premium Member
Great! Can you please provide the part numbers and/or links to the parts to purchase? Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I posted them in post #2.:)

Here it is again.:)

Here's the convection fan parts for your model, click here--->Parts for GE JTP56SD1SS: Convection Fan Parts

#514 is the convection fan motor cover that's located inside the oven
#977 is the fan blade nut that holds the fan in place on the motor shaft ---> Nut
#43 is the blade hub assembly ---> Hub Blade Asm
#511 is the fan blade ---> Fan Blade

Jake

Cdnewell23

Premium Member
In the diagram, I replaced parts 43 and 977. It did not solve the problem. Fan spins to start, but then stops after awhile of heating or does not restart after opening the oven door.

I also bought part 511, but did not replace because it looks like I will have to pull the oven out of the wall and access the convection motor. Is that correct? If I replace it along with the other blade, do you think that will solve the issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its been about 20 years since I replaced a convection fan blade in a GE oven, If I remember right you will have to pull the oven out from the wall to replace it.

If I replace it along with the other blade, do you think that will solve the issue?
Possibly yes, but if your saying the motor itself keeps seizing then its best to order the complete fan motor assembly.

And if normal bake works fine, then that would rule out the other cooling fans in your model.

You can send those other parts back for a full refund, and then order the complete fan motor assembly, just to be on the safe side.

Jake

Cdnewell23

Premium Member
Problem fixed. Once I replaced the motor and the blade, it fixed the issue. Much more quiet and the convection fan works consistently.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake