• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE model WHDSR315DAWW won't spin.

kara13

Premium Member
Model Number
WHDSR315DAWW
Brand
GE
The machine fills and drains fine. It just doesn't spin or agitate.

I've tested the electrical function of all the switches and the pump and motor, all are fine. The drive belt is in good condition with proper tension. There is nothing caught in the drain tubing or pump.

Websites have also suggested that the agitator or coupling could be busted. I removed and inspected them. All the splines are intact and the agitator is fine.

I noticed that the motor hums but doesn't spin during operation, which led me to think the problem was with the motor or the transmission.

To test the motor's function, I removed the drive belt and ran the machine through a rinse/spin cycle. Sure enough, the motor spun just fine when it was "free" to rotate.

My conclusion is that something on the transmission end of the drive is broken. Is there anything besides the transmission itself that could cause the problem? Am I missing something else?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, since your motor is running without the belt on, then it's your transmission that's bad.

Here's the transmission for your model you can order(Video Included):
Manufacturer's Number: WH38X10002

Jake

kara13

Premium Member
I am able to advance the belt by hand (when attached fully to the transmission and motor). It does rotate the agitator slightly when I do this. If the transmission is bad, would I be able to do that?

Out of curiosity, is the much smaller rotation of the agitator (compared to the rotation of the pulleys) just due to gearing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you turn the transmission pulley both ways?

And when you turn it one way it should spin the inner tub as well.

It does rotate the agitator slightly when I do this
It should be full agitate rotations.

Are you saying the transmission needs a full replacement?
Yes, there's no way to replace any parts inside the transmission.

Jake