• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Model WVSR1060A0WW top load washer will not spin

rascalnd

Premium Member
Model Number
WVSR1060A0WW
Brand
GE
GE Model # WVSR1060A0WW top load washer will fill, agitate, drain, but it will not spin.
Here is some of the things I have tested/tried:
01. Tested the lid switch. There is no issues with it and it functions as intended.
02. Removed the drain pump. It operates as it should and there are no blockages in either hoses or in the pump.
03. Load pressure tube. It is clear and there are no obstructions where it attaches to the washer tub.
04. Removed the timer knob and outer ring and verified that both are seated and secured onto the timer.
05. I am able to spin the motor pulley easily and without any restrictions.
06. Belt is in good condition and tight.
07. I have reset the machine.
08. I cannot turn the drum by hand.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

top load washer will fill, agitate, drain, but it will not spin.

What happens instead of spinning?
Motor runs in spin?
Belt and pulleys turn in spin?
All the water drains out?

jeff.

rascalnd

Premium Member
Everything functions as I believe it should up until the spin cycle. Once the washer goes into the spin cycle, the pump turns on and drains all the water but the spin never occurs. The motor does not spin. The belts and pulleys do not spin/turn. The water drains out completely and the pump continues to run. The timer advances as it should until it reaches the "off" position. Then everything shuts down and the clothes are still saturated with water.

rascalnd

Premium Member
I did some more operational test this morning;
1. During the agitator stage, the motor and pulleys spin. When I lift the lid, the agitator stops. When I close the lid, the agitator starts again.
2. During the spin cycle (while the discharge pump is running) I can turn the drum by hand but it takes a bit of effort. I also see the transmission rotating with the drum as I manually spin it.
3. During the spin cycle, I have tried pushing the timer knob in and then pulling it back out (3x). The drum still would not spin.

jeff1

Staff member
the spin never occurs. The motor does not spin. The belts and pulleys do not spin/turn.

No spin will occur, unless the motor runs.
What can stop the motor.
Lid switch - yours sounds ok.
WLC/pressure switch must reset once the water is all drained out - you said yours was ok.
Bad motor ( rare to work in one direction but not the other, but is possible ).
No power from the timer.
Broken wire between the timer and motor ( off balanced load can sometimes wack the wires ).

Grab the wire diagram from the washer, ohm the motor, wire harness and if ok, points to a bad timer....which is coming back as No Longer Available.

jeff.

rascalnd

Premium Member
"WLC/pressure switch must reset once the water is all drained out - you said yours was ok " What does WLC mean (Water Level Control??) ?. I know nothing about the pressure switch. I do not know if it is ok. I only stated that the line was clear and the fitting that it slides onto the drum is free of obstructions. How do you reset the pressure switch?

UPDATE: So I opened the top control panel and looked at the pressure switch. There is a small screw on the switch that appears to be an adjustment screw. It was very very loose (almost to the point of wobbling) and I turned it clockwise 2 full revolutions. Then set the timer to the spin cycle. The tub is actually spinning now. Not sure if it is a fluke or if that adjustment screw was the culprit. So now I am wondering how much should I be adjusting that screw? I am assuming that it has just worked it's was loose after all these years or if the adjustment I made is just compensating for a different issue.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
WLC = Water Level Control or some call it a pressure switch.

This stops the filling water and tells the washer to start when the correct water level has been reached.
This must reset back to it's "ok to fill" position once the water drains out or the washer will think it is still full of water and won't spin. Often we see gookus in the hose or ends.

Sounds like you will need a new WLC...

LINK> WLC

jeff.