• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED GE Monogram Microwave Fuse Blown

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What should I do with the defective mag tube? Also, could the testing of the microwave caused my meter to die?
Use a pair of pliers and take the old mag tube apart. It has two big magnets in it that kids love to play with. Testing a microwave will not damage your meter.

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
Big problems... microwave worked fine the last 2 days as I made sure not to cook anything longer than 3 minutes. Today, as my wife is in bed sick, I had to prepare the kids lunches and put the mac-n-chees (frozen kind) into the microwave for 5 minutes (it actually called for 6). It cooked for the entire cycle and then when I went to put the next one in (yeah, 3 boys lots of mac-n-cheese) it reverted back to where I left off before I got onto the forum. All the electronics worked, the clock worked, it allowed me to select 5 min quick cycle and then when I hit start it clicked as if it was cooking but didn't cook. It started its counting down but nothing.

At this point I wish I just trashed this GE piece of garbage. However, now that I just spent $115 on the magnatron, am I close to fixing it? I'm so sad about this. If it wasn't stainless steel and had a stainless surrounding I would probably toss it. Might still. Rick, please help...... Thanks,

rickgburton

Staff member
You might just need to adjust the door latch assembly. It's not blowing the fuse is it? When you replaced the tube why do you not want to cook anything longer than 3 minutes?

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
Rick, I'll need some hand holding on what you mean about adjusting the door latch assembly. I will upload a pic of the top door latch and bottom door latch--only the bottom has a little (red) button that is visible--could that be the problem? Seems like the door closes fully.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Back in post #5 in the picture you posted it looks like the switch latch assembly has been removed from the frame. Take the cover off and make sure the latch levers on the door are closing all the switches. Make sure the screws are tight.

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
That was it! Took it out, opened it up, removed that assembly and the top switch seemed like it was loose so I got it back into place and viola, it works again! I'm still afraid to cook more than 3 minutes because now its been 3 times when the microwave has gone out and everytime it's been on cycles longer than that.

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
Oh, this GE Monogram is going to break--there is not doubt. It's the 4th time in 8 years, including a replacement unit. :) You're right though, we'll cook as usual and see what happens. Fortunately, I am fortunate to have you on our side helping to troubleshoot--otherwise this would've been another $300+ job for the repairman. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong--but want to sincerely thank you for all your help in this matter. Hopefully, someone else will be able to read this thread and follow your steps. In fact, is there a step by step how to already created? If not, you certainly could put it together based on all the posts here!

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
Rick, you still out there? My microwave is on the fritz again. It started when my mom was over on Saturday and put about 5 ears of corn into the microwave for 5+ minutes. With about 2 minutes remaining the microwave started to falter (light going off but all the electronics still worked like before) and I canceled the cycle. We stopped using it that night and the microwave seemed to work over the next few days. This morning, my wife was heating up oatmeal for 5 minutes and after a couple minutes it stopped altogether (same thing, all electronics still work, lights still work, counts down, but not cooking). We know it's not the magnetron. In the past, when this happened, I could go in there and affix the latch/switches inside and I think that would typically get it going again. So, maybe it's one of those switches? But what concerns me is that there may be 2 issues going on simultaneously: 1. The door latch is loose so the microwave stops thinking the door isn't closed 2. Some heat sensor is triggered and/or broken and doesn't know that a fire isn't going on.

Here are some thoughts: Maybe I can buy a new assembly--the thing the door latches attach to--so the door latch and other switches don't get loose? Also, what parts would you replace so that the heat sensing doesn't fail anymore? Thanks so much!!!

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like it could be a microswitch. Check them with a meter by opening and closing the door.

Jeremy Marks

Premium Member
Placed an order for the following and subsequently installed all the parts. I didn't want to keep going back and forth on one thing or the other--and figured my time was worth just getting some extra parts. Been working since Thursday night without a problem. I feel that a main issue could've been the plastic lock WB06X10498 that never quite allowed the microwave door to close properly.

1 x Lock WB06X10498
1 x Thermostat Magnetron WB27X10567
1 x Switch-Primary & Secondary WB24X823
1 x Switch-Interlock WB24X824
2 x Micro Switch-Substitutes WB24x10103
1 x Thermostat Cavity WB27X10909
1 x Latch Slider WB06X10269