• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Monogram Refrigerator ZISB480DRJ - Freezer icing up

vagus

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISB480DRJ
Brand
GE
I recently had the evaporator coil replaced due to an apparent refrigerant leak that meant that neither the freezer nor refrigerator were cooling. That problem is now solved. But since then the freezer starts icing up after a few days. This looks like ice-streams down the sides and the evaporator fan first becoming noisy then freezing up entirely.

The evaporator deicing heater has been tested and is within limits.
The evaporator drain pan has been tested and is within limits. It was also replaced - didn’t help.
The evaporator thermistor has been tested and is within limits.
The main control board was replaced - didn‘t help.
(The one thing I haven’t tested is the defrost thermostat - not sure how to do this.)

The ice seems to be forming below the evaporator, in and around the drain pan. The drain pan becomes stuck to the evaporator in a solid block of ice. Initial thoughts were that the drain pan wasn’t working and was freezing up (hence the replacement which didn’t help). But on the last defrost cycle I could see water dripping from the freezer ceiling and running down the freezer wall. So it appears that the pan is not draining. I have checked the drain hose and it is clear (I used a turkey baster with hot water in case of any debris - I also blew down it and found no resistance). During the defrost cycle mentioned above the hose did not appear to be frozen when I squeezed it. The compressor pan is completely dry.

When I replaced the ceiling panel the last time I took the freezer apart to defrost it, I realized that the drain pan is sitting right up against the bottom of the evaporator. I actually had to push up with a decent amount of force to be able to get the screws in that hold up the ceiling panel. This made me wonder if the evaporator itself is restricting the flow of water from the drain pan. Should there be a gap between the evaporator and the pan? Is it possible that the new evaporator is not quite in place and is sitting too low?

Any and all help gratefully received as this problem is driving me crazy - and it’s now been 2 months since we’ve had a properly functioning unit.

___

The following threads were helpful but didn’t solve the problem (this list is mostly for my reference - but also anybody else who may have a similar problem):

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks like you will need the icing kit.

Here's the Icing Kit for your model:
WR49X10021 Icing Kit

Here's the main thread on this problem:

Jake

vagus

Premium Member
Hi Jake -

Thanks for the response. We got one of those kits to replace the evaporator drain pan.

One thing I noted form the photo is the short gray tube on the right. Is that just insulation or something more? As far as I know, the tech just used the drain pan from the kit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One thing I noted form the photo is the short gray tube on the right. Is that just insulation or something more?
What photo? Can you attach that photo please?

Jake

vagus

Premium Member
Of the Icing Kit - the first photo (the one that appears on your post):

1654961620685.png

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I don't know, I haven't installed this kit myself as of yet. The instructions that come with it will tell you.

Jake

vagus

Premium Member
It was a tech who did the work and as far as I know, all he did was replace the pan as he thought that was the issue. But that didn't work and he's now given up on trying to fix the problem. So I'm left with having to manually deice the freezer every 2 to 3 days until I can fix it myself, replace it or find somebody that knows more than the last guy.

Any other suggestions as to why the pan might not be draining? I'm getting desperate! Again, this wasn't an issue until the evaporator was replaced so I feel the two may be linked.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Other than that I really don't know.

Hopefully another tech. or member that's seen this exact situation can shed some light on this.

Jake