• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Monogram ZIF36NMCLH ice build up every 3-4 weeks

QuimbyTX

Premium Member
Model Number
ZIF36NMCLH
Brand
GE
Hi All. This is my first post and I hope I can get some great advice! My 15 yr old built in freezer model ZIF36NMCLH repeatedly has the drain clogged with ice leading to a thick layer of ice build up in bottom. Several different repairman have serviced and all they do is chip out ice layer and heat til ice melts. This will work for about a month and then the cycle repeats itself. Repairs running $200 each call. The freezer is set at 3 out of 9 (5 is normal) and it is keeping the food frozen. I am looking for a more long term repair and solution to this ongoing problem.

I also am having frost build up on the bottom of my matching refrigerator. GE Monogram ZIR36NMCRH. 4 months ago the heater and the thermostats were replaced for frost build up. The refrigerator is set at 3 as well and it is very cold at this temp even occasionally of freezing some liquids like a glass of ice tea. There is now rust and corrosion in areas in the bottom of the refrigerator underneath frost. We never had a repair of the refrigerator befor 4 months ao. However we noticed that there was rust before the build up issue began.Since they are built in with wood panels, replacing will be quite costly and GE monogram has changed the sizing just enough that 2019 models will not fit. Please help!!
Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

My 15 yr old built in freezer model ZIF36NMCLH repeatedly has the drain clogged with ice leading to a thick layer of ice build up in bottom. Several different repairman have serviced and all they do is chip out ice layer and heat til ice melts. This will work for about a month and then the cycle repeats itself. Repairs running $200 each call. The freezer is set at 3 out of 9 (5 is normal) and it is keeping the food frozen. I am looking for a more long term repair and solution to this ongoing problem.

Let's start with the freezer drain line.

Use a hair dryer and hot water to clear the ice, then you will see the drain hole.

Then run something down the drain hole, then run a little bleach down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out, then run some bleach down the drain hole.

Jake

QuimbyTX

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I will make sure next service call includes snaking and not just de-icing. What is the underlying cause that it does this every several weeks in increasing frequency?
Did you have any thoughts on the refrigerator?
Quimby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the underlying cause that it does this every several weeks in increasing frequency?
Not being snaked out and not being bleached out.:)

For the refrigerator getting to cold, its possibly the temperature control thermostat starting to wear out and fail.

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model:
WR9X509

Jake

QuimbyTX

Premium Member
Thank you for the response. On the ZIR36NMCRH refrigerator repair done last fall, these parts were replaced on the refrigerator
WR51X10036 defrost heater 36 SD and WR50X10032 Thermodisc. The link to the part you suggested, the picture shows a small box and wire. The parts the repairman ordered and replaced look like the box part is missing. Would you be able to explain what I received vs. what your replacement part has?
Thanks Quimby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The parts the repairman ordered and replaced look like the box part is missing. Would you be able to explain what I received vs. what your replacement part has?
What's the part number that he replaced it with?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not understanding, those parts he replaced is not the part I recommend be changed.

Those parts he replaced only deal with the auto-defrost system.

The part I linked you to above is the temperature control thermostat that tells it how cold to get.

Jake

QuimbyTX

Premium Member
I will be sure to bring that up when repairman arrives today. Thank u and I will report back!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes let us know.:)

Jake