• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Oven JKP07G0D2BG - remove door

jchowharper@gma

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP07G0D2BG
Brand
GE
We are trying to replace my 37 year old GE P7 wall oven (Model JKP07G0D2BG) but we don't know how to remove the old oven!
We've watched some YouTubes but none of them is our exact model and after unscrewing many screws, it still won't budge.

Our questions are:

1. Do we have to remove the door first? If nothing else it will lighten the load. But we can't even do that! We've seen videos of how the door should be left in half open position and then just lift. That didn't work. I see a Lock Latch button on the top panel (I am including a picture). I press it and it makes a noise but that didn't help. Should it? The door "hinge mechanism" does not seem to have another lock (that I read about, which requires a Torx screwdriver...). I am including a picture.

2. We've unscrewed the screws that we see (some won't unscrew, yet). But even with the screws out, the area won't budge. (I am including a picture of this area.) Any tips?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• ShowingLockLatchButton.jpg
    ShowingLockLatchButton.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 34
  • ShowingDoorHingeArea.jpg
    ShowingDoorHingeArea.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ShowingUnscrewedArea.jpg
    ShowingUnscrewedArea.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 32

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The last picture shows a mounting screw hole but you're pictures are too close. Take a picture of the entire oven with the door open. If you want to remove the door, remove the torx screw above the hinge on the door then pull it off. Most built-in ovens have 2 mounting screws, one on each side. However sometimes installers can go a little overboard.

jchowharper@gma

Premium Member
With the help of a relative who is very handy, we got the old oven out.

Thank you, Rick, for commenting.

To answer my first question - The door had to be partially removed so one could get to the screw on the lower right corner. As Rick said above, need to remove the Torx screw (so, need special tool).

Once all the screws were taken out, then the oven budged and eventually came out.

Now that a new oven is in, I miss how quickly the old oven preheated. (The new oven takes 10 minutes to preheat to 350.)
We also loved how we were able to replace the heating element ourselves (it was exposed).

jchowharper@gma

Premium Member
It is a basic Frigidaire.
I thought this was normal because when I use friends and family's oven, they seem to take a long time.
I noted that it took the Frigidaire 10 minutes to preheat to 350 and about 12 minutes to 375.
At first I thought it just felt long because I was watching it.

I did notice when my old oven was in the process of being removed (we were stuck on the how to remove door phase for a month), it took longer to preheat.
My reasoning for that is that the "seal" around the oven was disturbed and so there were probably little gaps that allowed hot air to escape and so it took longer to preheat...