• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Oven JT912 Testing bad oven element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankf

Premium Member
Model Number
JT912
Brand
GE
My oven on a GE Oven JT912 would not heat up to temperature. I presumed it was a bad element (8 pass) and ordered the part. Installed it and the oven works fine now. I checked the old element... I have continuity across the leads... no shorts from leads to element case...resistance across the leads is 20 ohms. According to what I have read, this element should be fine but did not heat up at all. Any explanation as to why this element is NG???

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
would not heat up to temperature.
If the element turned on and got warm or red hot, it's good. If the oven heats up but doesn't reach the set temperature the problem is most likely not the element. Check the oven sensor resistance. Should be about 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Hankf

Premium Member
Checked temp sensor....1100 ohms. As I said new element works fine but old element won’t and I can’t figure out why.

rickgburton

Staff member
An element is like a light bulb, it's either good or bad. There's no in between.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the old element was not heating and it ohm tested good, then that would puzzle me as well. LOL

It's too early for gremlins, Usually the gremlins come out in the Halloween month of October. LOL

But what Rick and I do is ALSO check for 240 volts across the BAKE ELEMENT when you have the oven set at BAKE 350, if your meter reads 240 volts and the BAKE element is not heating then its bad, whether it ohms good or not.:)

But is extremely rare for the BAKE element to ohm test good, but not heat.

Here's the bake element for your model, in case others need it too:
Bake Element WB44T10055

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I've seen this happen a few times over the years; When the filament inside the element breaks, it doesn't open the circuit until the element starts to cool. They start out as what's called hot spots in the element. Sometimes, when the element reaches room temperature, the metal around it contracted and made a temporary connection on the filament . As soon as the element is energized, the connection opens.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That makes sense Rick!

Jake

Hankf

Premium Member
I've seen this happen a few times over the years; When the filament inside the element breaks, it doesn't open the circuit until the element starts to cool. They start out as what's called hot spots in the element. Sometimes, when the element reaches room temperature, the metal around it contracted and made a temporary connection on the filament . As soon as the element is energized, the connection opens.
I believe you are right. I think what you meant was that when the element is energized and heats, the circuit is broken. Upon cool continuity is restored and everything tests good.

rickgburton

Staff member
I think what you meant was
Isn't that exactly what I said?? .........lol

when the element is energized and heats, the circuit is broken.
As soon as the element is energized, the connection opens.

Upon cool continuity is restored and everything tests good.
when the element reaches room temperature, the metal around it contracted and made a temporary connection on the filament

Status
Not open for further replies.