• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php


GE PEB159CDN1BB Won't start - identified shorted out connector, but lack parts to replace. Advice?


Jun 25, 2019
Model Number
6-10 years
So a relative gave me their old microwave, a G.E. Profile. It ran fine until a few weeks ago, when the thing stopped mid-use and refused to start again. After opening her up, I saw that one of the plastic covers for the connectors that join to the door microswitch was burned out. After replacing the fuse in the unit, I pried off the burned plastic, but I don't have a similar sleeve as seen in the photos. What might I use as a substitute? Electrical tape?

I'm not very well versed with electric repair, as you can see.

The photo below shows the connectors after stripping the plastic sleeve away, along with an example of what the intact sleeve looks like.

And this one shows the microswitch in question, that we managed to buy a replacement part for.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should mention that we contacted GE to ask whether they could send us a replacement connector sleeve - only they said we'd have to buy the whole assembly of that part, for around 150 dollars.