FIXED GE PFS22SBSBSS Refer won't stay cold, freezer does

gibby372

Premium Member
Model Number
PFS22SBSBSS
Brand
GE
Starting a month ago, the fridge portion won't stay cold, but the freezer does. I replaced the main control board, same problem. Changed the thermosistor in the refer, same problem. Changed the compressor overload relay starter, and it fired. 2 weeks later, the fridge is at 60 and the freezer at -5. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

OK the damper might be stuck or there might be ice in it. To check it remove the shelves. Remove the two screws in the center shelf bracket and remove the shelf bracket. Remove the screw in the lower part of the tower. Lean the tower forward and you can disconnect the wire connector.

The tower and damper are replaced as an assembly:
WR09X10114 Dampner Assy

Jake

gibby372

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the next logical culprit so I removed it and the damper was wide open and I did not feel any ice in it. I could feel a fan or something blowing up thru the opening. I then unplugged it for 5 minutes and plugged it back in. Then i could not hear the compressor fire or feel a fan blow. Yes, i taped the door sensors closed.

I then emptied the freezer and unplugged it. I am going to see if something is frosting over somewhere that is causing a restriction.

Any other thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the air flow diagram:
(click to enlarge)
PDS22 Air Flow.jpeg

Is there any ice or frost in the return air channel?

Look behind the evaporator on the sides. They could very well be blocked with frost. Point the hair dryer in the 2 air vents on the right and left side of the air tunnel so it blows into the freezer section. If you can't feel any air blowing out by the evaporator let it keep blowing hot air until you can.

Jake

gibby372

Premium Member
So I let it set overnight and it warmed up and dried out. I closed it up this morning and plugged it back in and now the fridge is at 38 and freezer at 17. Could those vents have frosted closed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could those vents have frosted closed?
Possibly yes if someone accidently left the door ajar for long period of time, which would form condensation, then frost up.:)

Glad to hear your back in business. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake