• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE PGCS1RKZHSS fridge & freezer temps rise, reset and it works again

slickdawg

Premium Member
Model Number
PGCS1RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Hi everyone. I've got a GE Profile side by side, model PGCS1RKZHSS, that's giving me fits.

About 3 weeks ago, the inverter died on the unit. I ordered a new one, and things appeared to be well.

Since then, I've had this random issue with fridge and freezer temperatures warming (freezer around 25, fridge around 55). When this happens, I can hear the compressor running and I believe the condenser fans is running. If I open the door, and hold the switch down, I've discovered that no air is flowing (evaporator fan not blowing?). If I go into diagnostics and reset the fridge with code 1 5, the unit resets, and the evaporator fans starts blowing again. Within an hour, temps have dropped considerably, in several hours, we're back to -5 freezer and 35 fridge.
Then I'll find it happens again a day later. I found this post that seems to be similar to my issue.

Since it starts working after a reset, I figured that its most likely a control board? I replaced the control board yesterday, and my problem persists.

This would lead me to believe that its the evaporator fan? Is it possible that the fan is intermittently failing?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
its most likely a control board? I replaced the control board yesterday, and my problem persists.
Sounds like the control board. Where did you get that one? What's the part number? Here's the fan pinouts:
WR55X11098-fans.jpg

slickdawg

Premium Member
Hi Rick, frustrated losing food again, I ordered the part Sunday from Amazon, it came the next day, in a GE "genuine replacement part" box. The part number is WR55X11098

Next time it fails, I'll measure the pins and see what I get.

rickgburton

Staff member
When it comes to appliance parts, we've seen a lot of problems with eBay and Amazon. Just search the forums and you'll see what I mean. If the fan voltage is correct and the fan is not working, replace the fan. If the voltage is incorrect or 0V, the board is most likely the issue. Now, on a few of these machines I've found the evaporator fan motor gets moisture inside it and it shorts out the board. Replacing the board and not the fan motor, will result in another board failure in a short amount of time. Inspect the fan motor for any signs of moisture.

slickdawg

Premium Member
OK, it just happened again within the last 1-2 hours. The freezer temp had warmed from -3 to +2 , the fridge had warmed from 35 to 42

I measured on the board:

J2-3 / J2-4 13.37V
J2-3 / J2-5 12.03V

I confirmed the compressor was running and the condenser fan was running, then pulled the cover off of the evaporator fan, sure enough, it's not turning. I reset the unit with 1 5 in diagnostics, it comes back up and the evaporator fan spinning just fine.

Typically, I buy parts from AppliancePartsPros, everything has been delivered in 1-2 days tops, and there's a wealth of information to help us figure these things out. I'll pay more for parts for that reason.

When the inverter went out 3 weeks ago, I actually ordered from AppliancePartsPros. 2-3 business days later, the part still had not even shipped. I contacted customer support to ask what the problem was, they said that they basically had dropped the ball. Fearing that might have been the case, I had already ordered another inverter from Amazon. Customer Support offered to do expedited shipping, but the part from Amazon had just arrived, so I told him to just cancel the order. If I didn't have the part, I'd have taken him up on it. He even offered 20% off my next order for the trouble. Again, my experience with AppliancePartsPros has always been good. I was so flustered on Sunday, having had to throw a lot of groceries away AGAIN, I just ordered from Amazon to get it Monday.

All of this said, what do you think Rick? Replace the evaporator fan motor ?

slickdawg

Premium Member
I ordered the fan motor from AppliancePartsPros on Thursday. Tracking said it would be here today (Monday), fortunately it was here Saturday afternoon. I replaced the fan motor yesterday, and so far, so good. We will give it a couple of days and see if this resolves this problem.

slickdawg

Premium Member
Good news, we've run four straight days without issue! So I believe that we've fixed the issue. Thanks for all your help Rick! Donation on the way. :)

slickdawg

Premium Member
Well things had been going great until Sunday, when we found our fridge rather warm - 58 degrees, and the freezer was a chilly -8.

Evaporator fan is blowing, so that's not it. I pulled the damper off, it's open. There's practically no airflow coming through the duct, I assume it's frozen? I say that because when I pulled the bottom drawer out to get to the damper, there was some water collected in the bottom of the fridge compartment.

Any suggestions?

slickdawg

Premium Member
Ok, I took one of those long plastic strips you unclog a drain with, and it's clean - no obstructions found. I don't get it??

rickgburton

Staff member
If the evap fan is working you need to determine what's blocking the airflow.

slickdawg

Premium Member
Well I took the freezer drawers out last night, pulled the back panel, no ice on the evaporator coil, airway was unobstructed. I put it all back together and this morning, we're back to normal, -2 freezer, 34 fridge.
The only things I noticed: 1) I had not put the cover on the evaporator fan since it failed, as I had wanted to be able to see if it was turning, confident that was resolved, I put that cover back on. 2) I noticed that when I had re-assembled the freezer doors, a couple of screws were not 100% tight, I made sure that was taken care of. I can't imagine either of these causing it to work fine for a month then suddenly stop, but I guess all things are possible?

rickgburton

Staff member
I had not put the cover on the evaporator fan since it failed, as I had wanted to be able to see if it was turning,
There's your problem!

slickdawg

Premium Member
It worked fine for a month like that, I just find it very odd that out of the blue, this pops up? Thanks for the troubleshooting help Rick !!

rickgburton

Staff member
The evaporator fan pulls the air across the evap coils which are much colder than the air temperature (-20°F). Then it pushes the air back into the freezer and into the fresh food compartment through the damper. When the cover is off the fan doesn't pull the air across the coils. It also causes the evaporator coils to frost over much faster.