GE Profile 24 PBT650SML0ES frequently wont drain

oscillation

Premium Member
Firstly, dont buy this dishwasher, its always been a dud. My old dishwasher was a beast. It wasnt 'energy star' and probably wasted tons of water, but we wont bring these in our homes if they arent going to clean the dishes. I think manufacturers better wake up and understand that.

Secondly, I am aware of the microfilter, because it has to be cleaned every 3 or 4 cycles.

The dishwasher intermittently wont drain. You can hear that the draining has slowed to a trickle where you can sometimes hear it really firing down the drain, its just not as loud when its not going to drain. Also, theres a fairly loud grinding sound during drain cycle, by far the loudest part of the cycle, the only part you can really hear, this is whether its going to drain or not. I dont believe this is new, its always been this way. A few times lately, the dishwasher will just stick on this drain cycle, making the grinding noise, even when the door is opened, closed, and the cycle is stopped using the control panel. Only a hard reset at the fuse will stop it. And of course there is standing water. Sometimes I'll take a plunger to the drain.

To me, there must be a clog or choke point somewhere beyond what is reachable through the main cavity of the unit. I dont have the service manual for the device. Theres supposed to be a 'piranha' hard foot particle shredder in this. That makes me laugh a bit.

Anyone work through this issue, or have a link to the service manual.

I'm this close to dragging this out of the house and taking a bat to it to be honest.

oscillation

Premium Member
As an update, I've now had the dishwasher apart, and looked at the drain pump. The only thing noticeable was some food particles about 3 inches inside the pipe leading to the drain pump. The particles were behind a coarse grate in the pipe so i wasnt able to really get the stuff out of there. I tried with a rough pipe cleaner, but really couldnt get it out, and ended up pushing the stuff further back up the pipe where it couldnt be seen any more.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.