GE Profile Arctica PSI23NCRFBV / Actual Temps Constantly Warmer Than Set Temps

lucyk3333

Model Number
PSI23NCRFBV
Brand
GE
I came home from a vacation out of town to find a huge chunk of ice in my freezer ice cube bin. It looked like all the ice cubes had melted then refroze. I asked the house sitter if she left the door open by accident and she said no, but she did say that there was one day where it seemed like the refrigerator wasn't working. We have kept an eye on the temps for the past three days and they are consistently higher than what the temperatures are set at. For example the freezer is set at 0 but has been between 8 and 13. The fridge is set at 36 but has been between 38 and 46. We believe it might be 20+ years old, but have had no problems with it the three years we have lived in the house. Any suggestions on what to do? Sorry I'm an appliance novice, thanks!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Recheck your model number for me. Missing a letter. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

rickgburton

Staff member
Ahh...PS"I"23NCRF. Look on the back wall of the freezer section and look for any frost build up. Make sure the fan in the freezer is working and the condensor fan by the compressor is working. Make sure the coils under the machine are clean. Are the temps constant or is the problem intermittent?

lucyk3333

The temps fluctuate. The freezer set to 0 was at 13 last night and is 9 now. The fridge set to 36 was 43 last night and is 36 now.

lucyk3333

Thank you. I see this part listed on other sites for around $100 less. Is this a pretty standard part I could get for a lower price than from where you linked? Actual I see it (WR55X10942 Control Board) on GEAppliances.com for $194.

Last edited:

lucyk3333

Actually I pulled out the fridge today to clean behind it and noticed that the fan was just kind of barely rolling along. Could it be the fan motor?

rickgburton

Staff member
lucyk3333 said:
Could it be the fan motor?
rickgburton said:
Make sure the fan in the freezer is working and the condensor fan by the compressor is working.
Yep

Check the fan voltage at the motherboard J2-3 to J2-5. Here's the board pinouts:
WR55X10942-1.jpgWR55X10942-2.jpg

Last edited: