• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Arctica - refridgerator is warm drawers are normal

tlss

Premium Member
Model Number
PSH23PGRAWW
Brand
GE
Strange one here, the top part of my refrigerator compartment in very warm at about 45-49 degrees F but the drawers are in the normal range as set on the digital controls and the freezer temperature is also normal. Temperature display reads normal 0/37 degrees, same as freezer and drawer actual temperature, verified with a hand held IR temperature sensor and an analog refrigerator thermometer.

Coils in the freezer and refrigerator are working normally with no frost, freezing, or ice buildup. Condenser fan, freezer and refrigerator evaporator fans and chill compartment fan are working normally. Lights go out normally via door switch for the freezer and refrigerator. No condensation in refrigerator unless door is left open. Door seals are working very well.

Any and all troubleshooting recommendations are appreciated. Appears like a refrigerator circulation issue. Is there a refrigerator circulation medium besides the evaporator fan and chill compartment fan? What could cause just the open shelving area of the refrigerator to be so warm when everything else appears the be working normally? Thermistor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

PSH23PG is just a partial model number, we would need the complete model number. The model number tag should be located in the refrigerator section on the right side upper wall.

Yes, I'd check the refrigerator section thermistor first. Depending on your complete model number you may have one or two thermistors in there.

Watch Shawn's video below, he explains exactly how to test all the thermistors from the J1 motherboard connector itself.

All the thermistors use the exact same part number as listed below.

GE WR55X10025 Temperature Sensor

Watch this video, Shawn explains how to test/replace the thermistors:

[video=youtube;7lxOqMjFtr4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxOqMjFtr4[/video]

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is a service manual on this refrigerator.There is a evaporator in the fresh food section and a fan motor.What i know about this refrigerator is to change all thermistor and the one that is in the refrigerator behind the coil and has a wire tie on the block it is very important not to remove that plastic tie to change that thermistor. Make sure that fan is working also.This is a beast of a refrigerator,but have seen other post that say change all thermistor. And of coarse you could have another problem but just telling you what i know about this refrigerator and also thermistors are cheap. After rereading your post i think you know about the fan in the refrigerator and the evaporator in there?

Attachments

Last edited:

tlss

Premium Member
bigbuck-

Thanks for the attachments. Exactly what I needed. Please confirm that this model has only 3 thermistors; one on the freezer coil, one on the fresh food coil and one in/on the refrigerator wall.

tlss

tlss

Premium Member
From other posts it appears that diagram #4 thermistor on the refrigerator coil is the most likely problem. Right now with the freezer set to 0, refrigerator set to 34, custom cool compartment set to meat (32 degrees) and refrigerator knob near drawers set to coldest the refrigerator is holding temperature in refrigerator compartment to about 35-38 degrees F. This may be the operating limits of this 12 year old refrigerator... I'll continue to monitor temperature and watch for icing at which point if temperate keeping in the top part of my refrigerator compartment is a problem again I will swap the fresh food evaporator thermistor, test it once removed and report back here. Thanks for all your help!

tlss

Premium Member
Since my last post I decided to change all 5 Thermistors. I purchased 5 GE thermistors and tested the brand new thermistors in a glass of ice water as described. But here is my dilemma: among the 5 new thermistors they read in a range of 14.75 to 15.39 but should read between 15.485 to 17.115, all are outside the 16.3 +/- range. Any suggestions? Analog thermometer in the water read 34-35 degrees which is closer to the new thermistor test range. The thermometer was touching the glass in 2 places so I discounted the reading. I plan to test the old thermistors on the refrigerator via the mainboard this weekend.

tlss

Premium Member
Thermistor readings on refrigerator - took readings within 2 minutes of unplugging refrigerator then opened refrigerator and use IR thermometer to obtain temperature as close to thermistor location as possible:

1. FF Evaporator Thermistor 14.74 ohms / 33.6 degrees. 14.74 ohms should equate to 35.9 degrees.
2. FF Thermistor 15.78 ohms / 33.4 degrees. 15.78 ohms should equate to 33.4 degrees.
3. FZ Thermistor 36.3 ohms / -1.25 degrees. 36.3 ohms should equate to 5 degrees.
4. FZ Evaporator Thermistor 47.0 ohms / -1.1 degrees. 47.0 ohms should equate to -3.6 degrees.
5. Custom Cool Thermistor 17.29 ohms / 30.9 degrees. 17.19 ohms should equate to 31.0 degrees.

All thermistors appear to be operating within tolerances so I will be returning the 5 thermistors and will continue to monitor the temperature in the Fresh Food shelving area.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd,

There is a refrigerator section damper fan between the bottom drawers and the top shelves, do you hear/feel that fan running?

Here's the damper assembly for your model which includes that fan:
GE WR49X10091 Refrigerator Damper Assembly

Jake