• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Artica PSI23NGMAWW Compressor runs extremely hot, not cooling properly

dtweller

Premium Member
Model Number
PSI23NGMAWW
Brand
GE
- Compress runs extremely hot, condenser is hot as well
- Freezer is 18-24 degrees
- Fridge is 38-44 degrees
I replaced the defrost heater because the ends were blackened. I did not replace anything else yet. The evaporator fan does kick in after I left the doors open for a few minutes. The condenser fan on the back is running at about a 7-8 on a speed from 1-10. I don't know if it is the compressor, thermostat or some sort, or motherboard issue. I checked all of the thermistor in a glass of ice water. All read 12-15 ohms.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Look at your frost pattern on your evaporator coil behind your back panel, inside the freezer. Tell us what your frost pattern looks like from these photos below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from TOP to BOTTOM.

Jake

dtweller

Premium Member
It has been plugged in now for 7 hours and went from 50 to 24...only the bottom half of the coils has frost, the top half has no frost at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have that back panel back in place, that you took off to replace your defrost heater?

If so, you have to put that back panel back in place inside the freezer, or it won't cool properly.

If you do have that back panel back in place covering your evaporator coil and you still only get frost on the bottom half of the evaporator coils, then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

dtweller

Premium Member
I did replace the back plate, I did not screw it in, but it is popped into place. I sort of assumed it was a sealed system issue since the compressor almost burns your skin if you touch it. It kicks on and off, but is probably working twice as hard trying to get the temp right. Could it be the defrost thermostat or anything else before I have to go out and get a new fridge?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could it be the defrost thermostat or anything else before I have to go out and get a new fridge?
Nope, unfortunately not.

Jake