• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Convection Oven PT916SR control panel gets hot to the touch

mazman

Premium Member
Model Number
PT916SR
Brand
GE
I recently replaced the control board on the oven because, after occasionally freezing up, it finally stopped working. The new board has worked well for several months until Thanksgiving Day when I got an F5 error. Resetting the power cleared the error and we were able to finish cooking.

I've noticed that the control panel gets hot to the touch and moisture/steam often obscures the oven display temperature. Is it possible that the fan (part WB26X10264) is bad? There's no control panel code indicating that it's bad, but I seem to remember hearing a fan in the control panel area during banking and for a while after the oven is turned off. (We have an Advantium oven that does this.) Also, I have checked the oven seal and it looks solid with no excess heat escaping.

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The cooling fan motor, top rear, should turn on when any cooking function is selected and turns off when the sensor is below 150°. F5 error is a sensor circuit supervisor failure on the control. Are there any other error codes? The display doesn't show the error until it occurs twice. Simultaneously press TIMER, CLOCK, and the number 9 and confirm the error code.

rickgburton

Staff member
That's not an error. It might be a glitch in the control. When it's displayed simultaneously press 6 and 8 to clear an error code.

mazman

Premium Member
I cleared the code and used the oven. No new code was displayed. The temperature of the panel after turning off the oven was 133 degrees (see attached).

Attachments

• 20211229_190304.jpg
    20211229_190304.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 82

rickgburton

Staff member
No doubt it's a bad design. Is the cooling fan working? There's two thermal switches just behind the control panel. One opens at 205°F the other opens at 240°F

mazman

Premium Member
I don't think I hear any fan noise from the control panel. On our Advantium, that can easily hear the cooling fan which stays on for several minutes after the oven is turned off.

rickgburton

Staff member

mazman

Premium Member
Against my better judgement, I pulled the oven out of the wall and removed the top so I could see the fan. Turned the oven up to 300 and the fan never went on. I hope the problem is with the fan and not some circuitry that controls it.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.