• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile Dishwasher - PDT825SGJ5WW - no display in the UI panel

TRYeager

Premium Member
Model Number
PDT825SGJ5WW
Brand
GE
Hello Blog Team,
My GE Dishwasher - PDT825SSJ0SS is like dead box.....no display in the UI panel. That may sound familiar since I styled it from kkchopra’s post about a similar model of 2 years ago, when you helped him quickly. I hope you’ll do the same for me, since dirty dishes are stacking up.

There are other similar posts, and a question often seems to be whether it is the bottom-of-the-washer Configured Machine (main) Control Board or the user interface (UI) control board that is faulty.

I did see and have been guided by the GE Training Bulletin TP09-16 Diagnosing UI (User Interface) Controls of June 2016 that is mentioned in a few posts. But it has guided me onto a mysterious path of unlikely conclusions.

On the main control board, the service LED (or the only LED I see) flashes rapidly and constantly. The table in the bulletin clearly states that means there is a software error, and to “Replace the Machine Control”

So, I ordered a Configured Machine Control Board, WD21X25202.

While waiting, I studied the bulletin further, and it states to check for 13.5V on the main control board and at the UI control board. I have the voltage in both places, and all the door harness wires were checked for continuity. A main board with a software error but a good power supply is not particularly mysterious to me, since, as an engineer, I know power supplies are made (or once were) from simple robust components and that function would be totally separate from the software logic circuits on the board.

The bulletin states “If 13.5 VDC is found and the control does not function in Consumer Error Mode, replace the UI.”

Well, 13.5V is found at the board and my UI remains in DEAD MODE, which I assume is different from Consumer Error Mode. The bulletin does not explain, and my original manual does not even mention Consumer Error Mode.

So someone, please tell me what is Consumer Error Mode and how and why do you activate it?

It seems unlikely that 2 electronic parts would simultaneously fail. Has anyone seen both fail at the same time or know if one failure can cause the other to fail?

Well, the main control board arrived (completely new and sealed in a sack and made by GE), and it displayed the exact rapid flashing that the bulletin does not tolerate. And it had the 13.5V. And the UI board did not come to life.

Bad new parts are not unheard of, but I assume rare. To me, the proper name “Configured Machine Control Board” implies that someone had to program it or set jumpers (but there are none) for each different model. I wonder if GE forgot to do that.

So I ordered another main control board, this time a WD21X25738, which the supplier, PartsWarehouse.com states on their website and by phone is a replacement for WD21X25202. No other supplier shows that crossover, even GEApplianceParts.com. But PartsWarehouse.com said they’d take it back if it didn’t work.

And I ordered the UI, WD21X23938.

Neither have arrived yet.

The bulletin also explores whether the CSM has been tripped, but nowhere does it say what or where the CSM is. Since it says a CSM could trip from current leakage to ground, I assume a CSM is like a GFCI receptacle. But I can’t find any button or device anywhere on the washer that might be one.

So, someone, please tell me what and where the CSM is and what it looks like.

I didn’t mention earlier, but, of course, I tried numerous buttons and combinations to enact a reset. The web is filled with various instructions for many models but not for my own, it seems. Of course, I flipped the breaker off and on before I even tried those.

I have asked some specific questions that I hope will be addressed. But, of course, any advice this most generous blog group could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone care to wager whether my washer will be fixed by the new main board (…5738) or the UI board or will require both or will not be fixed at all?

Corrected model number in title

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The CSM is integrated into the machine control board, underneath the dishwasher.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUUXq54uhVXGMWX7DylkrOWz_L7v-21P/view?usp=sharing

Start reading at Page 44--->Consumer Error Mode--->To Enter Consumer Error Mode

Then Page 46 goes into detail about the CSM and it has a flowchart you can follow.

Then Page 47 is ENTER SERVICE MODE

Then Page 48 is the main(machine) control diagnostics, count how many times the STATUS LED is flashing in sequence.

Here's the control(machine) board(underneath the dishwasher) for your model:

Here's the UI Board for model:

Both come with instructions, you must follow to the instructions as some have personality jumpers settings that must be set prior to install.

Jake

TRYeager

Premium Member
Imitating a bonehead, I copied the model number wrong in the title and text. I got it right in the model number line, though. It is PDT825SGJ5WW. Jake, perhaps that's why you showed a main control board number different from GE andr the several other parts sites I looked at. But then, again, I got 2 other numbers from multiple sites.

My UI board came in. I installed it and broke off only 2 of the clear tabs of the light pipe. I wonder if that's a record. With the new UI and the original main control board that still shows the fast continuous flashing that indicates a software error requiring its replacement (just like my first new main control board), the dishwasher seems to work just fine! I don't want this post to be marked "fixed" just yet, though. Let me test it a little more.

So we now have two GE documents, the training bulletin and the service manual, that state that a fast flashing main control board is bad. And I have two main control boards (an old one and a completely new one) that fast flash. And the old one seems to work just fine. The new one, too, I suspect.

Jake, thank you for the link to the service manual. I've run the Consumer Error Mode procedure a few times, and it showed no errors. And I do believe that I, indeed, have no dirty errors, for I do, indeed, have clean dishes.

There are problems with that manual that future readers should be cautious of. The manual shows only a main control board of a funny shape with 6 outside edges. For my model, the main control board is a 4-sided rectangle. And the connector on the board up to the UI is different size and shape. And you just can't get the board out following anything close to the procedure shown in the book because it is mounted differently. I had to pull the washer out completely, tilt it to the side and access the control board from the bottom. Perhaps there are completely different status blink codes for this model washer or board. I have attached photos showing the mounted board with its cover and the unmounted board with its status LED.

Likely, everything is OK, now, but I do want this post to be marked "fixed" just yet. Let me test it a little more.

-TRYeager

Attachments

• Main control board showing status LED.jpg
    Main control board showing status LED.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 52
  • Main control board with cover on bottom of dishwasher.jpg
    Main control board with cover on bottom of dishwasher.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 53

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I fixed it in the title to PDT825SGJ5WW.

This is the machine control board underneath the dishwasher for PDT825SGJ5WW:

That is the square board, and the continuous flashing LED on it means its working good, not a software error code like the previous NON SQUARE board.:)

Look here too:

Let us know how it does after a few loads, I'm going to mark it FIXED just because I'm a optimist.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.