• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Dishwasher PDT845SMJ0ES wont drain (have tried all the basic steps)

awwphooey

Premium Member
Model Number
PDT845SMJ0ES
Brand
GE
Hi Folks - thanks in advance for reading my post.

Need assistance on a dishwasher question. I have a GE profile that's about 6 years old and not draining. Model is GE PDT845SMJ0ES. I've changed the drain pump, cleared line from drain pump to air gap, there was no blockage. Cleaned line from airgap to under sink piping, there was no blockage. Took off high loop drain hose and flushed it out with garden hose. Went opposite way of check valve and check valve let nothing through. Cleared line to garbage disposal, there was no blockage. Took off high loop drain hose and flushed it out with garden hose. Went opposite way of check valve and check valve let nothing through.

This is not the first time it's happened; it's happened twice before, seems like every two years. I changed out the pump the first 2 times thinking maybe I've got bad pumps, then it would drain fine for about 2 years. This time though, it drained for 3 wash cycles, but now again not draining.

Went to an online answer service, was told to change the control board. I'm far from being an expert on such things, but does this sound appropriate? I guess my thought is, for an issue like this wouldnt a control board failure be an "all or none" situation? I'm guessing you can go further by checking voltages using a multimeter, etc, but that's a bit above my skill set.

Control board is about 130.00 or so, I've spent about 200 on pumps at this point. I'd bite the bullet and get a new dishwasher, but I'm afraid of doing so and having the same issue (meaning, is it something due to not being the dishwasher failing). New appliances are expensive, obviously. ;D

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yours is a variable speed drain pump Steve.

Here's the drain pump for your model:

Here's the service manual page 51 talks about the inverter control board powering it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUUXq54uhVXGMWX7DylkrOWz_L7v-21P/view?usp=sharing

They warn you to be very careful when testing voltage on it, so I recommend you contact GE to come out or just replace that inverter assembly.

Here's the inverter assembly for your model:

Make sure you disconnect power to the dishwasher first!

Jake

awwphooey

Premium Member
Thank you for the response Jake! Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of the drain part number, I've bought all 3 from the site you indicated. :D

Thank you for posting the inverter info- I'm assuming based on your doing so you feel this is possibly the issue then? Dont worry, not holding you to it. ;)

Last edited:

awwphooey

Premium Member
Hey again- so first off, I'm a moron. I went right to asking if you thought this was the issue before going to the manual you provided and running through the modes. Thanks for providing the link and hope I can get a pass.

Alright, that being said, here's what I did:

went into Consumer Error Mode (pg. 44) and a fault came up, F96 (no water in tub, turbidity based). Let me come back to that in a moment.

I then went into Service Mode (pg. 47) and ran the first cycle, which is drain pump. I heard the pump go on (sounds like a very soft "flying in a jet" sound). I heard some light gurgling in the sink drains, but not like when it's running and working correct where the you see and hear the water pouring into the drain. Then stopped and checked tub and still full of water. I ran the cycle 2 more times, same thing.

So now back to F96. There's obviously water in the tub- not sure the association here to the drain issue, or if a separate problem?

Does that help?

Thanks again and sorry for the faux pas. Go Timbers!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So now back to F96. There's obviously water in the tub- not sure the association here to the drain issue, or if a separate problem?

Does that help?
Possibly a bad machine control board.

Here's the machine(main) control board for your model: WD21X24903 Machine Control

Look here:

Jake

awwphooey

Premium Member
Received the control board, replaced the old one. Same issue. I’m just gonna go buy a new dishwasher. Thanks

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, then it must be a intermittent bad inverter board, that's the only part left that would cause this problem.

Yes, you are better off buying a NON-GE dishwasher.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never worked on Bosch, but I've heard they are good.

I have owned 3 Maytag dishwashers, and never once had a single problem with any of them.:)

The first Maytag dishwasher lasted over 20 years, 2nd over 8 years, because I had to move from Arizona to Oregon recently, now my Oregon house already has a Maytag dishwasher in it, I'm was very happy about that.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

heavytime

Premium Member
I've never worked on Bosch, but I've heard they are good.

I have owned 3 Maytag dishwashers, and never once had a single problem with any of them.:)

The first Maytag dishwasher lasted over 20 years, 2nd over 8 years, because I had to move from Arizona to Oregon recently, now my Oregon house already has a Maytag dishwasher in it, I'm was very happy about that.

Jake
I replaced a 23 year old Maytag that worked but the racks were getting rusty and I was updating my kitchen with a new color. I should have kept it cause this Frigidaire I bought is costing me money at 3 years old Lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know what you mean.:)

Jake