• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile Double Oven PT925SN5SS - Top oven heating issues

RandyL725

Premium Member
Model Number
PT925SN5SS
Brand
GE
I have the GE oven model PT925SN5SS.

Before this issue, the top oven would preheat on bake mode to 425 degrees in about 6 minutes. Since the issue, it takes about 16 minutes. I've noticed the broil element is bright red, but the bake element doesn't seem to be putting off much heat.

I've checked continuity across the bake element and it's about 25 ohms which seems normal. Trying to research this problem, I've seen the relay board possibly being a problem. Also one of the leads connecting to the bake element has a burn mark that also left a burn mark on the back panel, the actual connections are still intact though.

Could it just be the wire from the relay board to the bake element that got too hot or the relay board itself?
Could anyone give me some advice on how to further investigate this/other multimeter testing I could do? I can attach other diagrams if needed.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 89

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Randy,

This is very strange because normal AVERAGE time to preheat the oven at 350 degrees--->SHOULD be about 15 minutes, you can google that and see.:)

425 degrees at 6 minutes is unheard of.

I will need to ask Rick about this and see what he thinks.

Jake

RandyL725

Premium Member
I believe it's this model. I had a technician come out tell me the same but never opened it up to look. In the manual it says 4-6 minutes for 325 degrees, so I might have over-estimated the timing for 425 degrees. It was definitely below 16 minutes that it's doing now. The lower oven gets there in about 12 and it's twice the size.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Randy, what manual did the wiring diagram come from? I see at the bottom it says page 59. Do you have the rest of the manual and can you post it here? I'm looking for a wiring schematic so stand by.

RandyL725

Premium Member
Rick,

The wiring diagram was located in the technical service guide that I found online and attached. I've also attached the owners manual if that's needed.
I swapped the upper oven bake element into the lower oven to double check it and it heats up instantly, so it's definitely not the bake element itself.

Attachments

• Technical Service Guide (2).pdf
    27.1 MB · Views: 89
  • Owners manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

rickgburton

Staff member
bake element doesn't seem to be putting off much heat.
the leads connecting to the bake element has a burn mark that also left a burn mark on the back panel
definitely not the bake element itself.
Start by cutting the burned wire off and adding a new wire terminal. Cut the wire back until the wire strands are shiney. Set to preheat and measure the voltage at the element. Should be 220 VAC. Soon as I get a few minutes i'll look thru the manual. Thank-you for posting that.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is the whole wiring diagram @rickgburton:
Looks like the service manual is right on!

Attachments

• 31-17173 GE PT925SN5SS Double Wall Oven Mini Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick and bigbuck!

Jake

RandyL725

Premium Member
Rick, I haven't had a chance to find a new wire terminal yet. In the meantime, I checked the voltage on both wire connectors for the bake element by placing one lead on that and the other lead on J14 like I saw in the service manual (page 48). I saw about 240 VAC on both terminals of the bake element when I set the oven to preheat. The service guide mentions it should show 0 VAC when bake is on and 240 VAC when bake is off? I'm confused by that.

rickgburton

Staff member
The wire terminals can be purchased at Walmart or any of the home centers. I use the high heat solderless terminals Crimp one on and check the volts across the element terminals. If you're getting the right voltage, and the element is good, the burned wire end is the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The service guide mentions it should show 0 VAC when bake is on and 240 VAC when bake is off? I'm confused by that.
That must be a misprint, that makes no sense to me at all either.

Like Rick mentioned if your getting 240 volts AC at the bake element when its ON then that's correct voltage.

Let us know how it goes after you replace that wire terminal.:)

Jake

RandyL725

Premium Member
So I replaced the wire terminal and still no luck. Both sides of the bake element still read at 240 VAC when I turn bake on. Any ideas on what I could check next?

It seems power's flowing to it from the relay board, could it be the element on the board has gone bad? I'm not sure if there's a way to check that itself.

Crimp one on and check the volts across the element terminals. If you're getting the right voltage, and the element is good, the burned wire end is the problem.
For testing the voltage across the element I have been putting one lead on J14 on the relay board and one lead of the multimeter on one of the bake element terminals. If I put both leads of the multimeter on each side of the bake element I see 0 VAC. I might have been checking the voltage incorrectly?

rickgburton

Staff member

RandyL725

Premium Member
That should fix the problem because I'm seeing 240 VAC across the bottom oven bake element.

J14 ??

Replace the relay board:

Sorry, I misunderstood where to check the voltage across the element (even though that's pretty straight forward). I've been in the service manual for a week trying to check different voltages from different spots and J14 was mentioned for most of them.
Thanks, I appreciate the help guys!

RandyL725

Premium Member
Late response, but for anyone with similar issues, replacing the relay board was the fix. The upper oven heats up how it should.

Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick has been out sick since Jan.12th with a serious illness, we are hoping and praying for a speedy recovery!

When Rick returns he will be happy you said that.(y)

Thanks!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.